Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Time to go all electric?

JakeCK
JakeCK Member Posts: 1,356
edited June 2022 in THE MAIN WALL
Columbia gas is asking for rate increases for fixed distribution changes. According to fox8 this could lead to $80 a month in fixed charges before you even use a single unit of gas with in the next 5 years. 

Sounds like a damn good reason to go all in on electric and tell Columbia gas to stick the meter where the sun don't shine. I only have two gas appliances left, my dryer and the boiler. The dryer is easy, already looking in to a heat pump dryer. The boiler would take some work but with an a2w heat pump and resistance electric its technically possible. If that means I can shut off gas service entirely 80$ a month minimum savings might make up the difference... 

https://fox8.com/news/ohioans-facing-home-gas-and-electric-rate-hikes/amp/

Comments

• gennady
    gennady Member Posts: 839
    Do you have free electricity?
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,615
    Do you mind if your electricity is shut off because there isn't enough to go around? This actually happened to me, a few weeks ago. Why yes, I am still a little salty about it.
    Solid_Fuel_Man
  • MaxMercy
    MaxMercy Member Posts: 507
    edited June 2022
    In Connecticut, electricity is ridiculously expensive. Even oil at $5 a gallon is a lot cheaper than pure reistive electric.

A geothermal heat pump is the way to go for low monthly operating costs, but I'm not sure about how the installation costs, maintenance, or long term life of the equipment will factor into complete affordability.

MikeAmann
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,775
    JakeCK said:

Columbia gas is asking for rate increases for fixed distribution changes. According to fox8 this could lead to $80 a month in fixed charges before you even use a single unit of gas with in the next 5 years. 

Sounds like a damn good reason to go all in on electric and tell Columbia gas to stick the meter where the sun don't shine. I only have two gas appliances left, my dryer and the boiler. The dryer is easy, already looking in to a heat pump dryer. The boiler would take some work but with an a2w heat pump and resistance electric its technically possible. If that means I can shut off gas service entirely 80$ a month minimum savings might make up the difference... 

Don't forget the cost of upgrading your incoming power feed!
    Also, the backup generator during the winter ice storm outages!
    Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,588
    JakeCK said:

Columbia gas is asking for rate increases for fixed distribution changes. According to fox8 this could lead to $80 a month in fixed charges before you even use a single unit of gas with in the next 5 years

"this could lead to $80 a month in fixed charges before you even use a single unit of gas with in the next 5 years"

Sounds like typical "Let's get people fired up without actually providing any useful information" to me.
    I guess it worked.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    GGrossSolid_Fuel_Man
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,165
    Do your numbers. There is no free lunch.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    Solid_Fuel_Man
  • Hot_water_fan
    Hot_water_fan Member Posts: 1,823
    Do you have or want AC? Makes the decision easier :smile:
  • sunlight33
    sunlight33 Member Posts: 378
    how much are you paying for kwh?
  • ChrisJ
    edited June 2022
    The amount of "gas bad electric good" posts anymore is simply unbelievable.

And they never really say why.

I've never liked fads....
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    Solid_Fuel_Man
  • SlamDunk
    SlamDunk Member Posts: 1,570
    Some fads are cool. I enjoyed the cup cake store on every corner fad. I enjoy the brewery on every corner fad, as well as, occasionally, the coffee shop on every corner fad...The excessive competition usually kills these fads.
  • Hot_water_fan
    @ChrisJ what makes it a fad? Heat pumps are mature, widespread technology. It’s popular now because they can be cheaper to operate and are often significantly cleaner. A win win yeah? 
  • ChrisJ

@ChrisJ what makes it a fad? Heat pumps are mature, widespread technology. It’s popular now because they can be cheaper to operate and are often significantly cleaner. A win win yeah? 

"Going all electric" is a fad right now just like pounding "efficiency" into people's minds like it's the only thing important.
    pecmsg
  • Hot_water_fan
    @ChrisJ Nobody claims it's the only important thing. Most would say it's not important at all. It could just become the default and the average person needn't think about it.
  • meerkat
    meerkat Member Posts: 35
    edited June 2022
    @MaxMercy is right, electricity in the tri-state (NY/NJ/CT) area is expensive. Only a very rich or very crazy person would choose to go all-electric here, lol
    Here's a snip from our most recent paid electric bill, showing kwh and other charges. This is BEFORE the central air was fired up at all this season, btw. Electric appliances are stove, clothes washer, clothes dryer, one OLED tv, one computer and printer; all light bulbs converted to LEDs. Oil heat with indirect domestic water tank. Current average COD price of oil is between $5.40 and $5.99/gallon depending on source and quantity delivered.

That bill was generated just before the higher "summertime" over-250-kwh rate kicks in, as of June 1st:

• Hot_water_fan
    @meerkat Agreed, that's expensive. The hope would be that as more electricity is used the delivery rate falls significantly. I pay like 1/3rd that as more electricity is used per capita here in MD. I used 40% more electricity in May but paid 25% less in total.
  • JakeCK
    edited June 2022
    Last months bill was $54 for 18 ccf so $80 already isn't far off. I suspect the local news station is not just getting people worked up, it is coming. That's a lot of money just for the privilege of having a combustible toxic gas piped into your house. Almost a grand a year just in fixed fees. That could buy me a lot of electricity during the months my solar array can't keep up. 

Yes, I have already done the numbers, they are favorable.

Yes my electric service has already been upgraded to 200amp service when I had the solar arrays installed.

And I don't get this "but what happens when the power goes out?" argument. The same thing happens now. Last time I checked I needed electricity to run my boiler. And a generator to do that when the grid fails. I already have a dual fuel generator and generator inlet box w/ an interlock on the panel.

Yes my electric is free at least at current consumption. And so far this year I have put about 3Mwh of energy back into the grid. There has only been a couple days since April where I didn't produce more then I used. The only months I haven't met my current usage are December and January. I have considerable headroom.

Last I checked it was about $.06/Kwh.

Now for the math:
    Between November and May I used 1046 ccf of NG. Octobers use was negligible. That works out to roughly 106692017 btu's for the heating season. My at least 35yr old boiler is at best 80% efficient. So 85353614btu's into the structure. This works out to 25000kwh. A lot of energy for sure. But I'm not talking about using straight resistance electric. I keep reading reports that modern air to water heat pumps can get a COP in the ball park of 2-3 even as far low as 30f. The performance tables for atw heat pumps such as Nordic show a cop 3.5 @ 35f with a supply water temp of 105f putting out around 38000 btus. Again this is air source, not geo. I personally believe that is a bit optimistic, but let's suppose it can get to 2 for a seasonal average. That gets me to 12500kwh for heating for a season. Still a lot of energy. But lets run the numbers through the worst month at 243ccf.

243ccf * .8 = 194.4ccf
    194.4ccf = 5811.2 kwh
    5811.2 / 2COP = 2905.6kwh

Electric energy usage for the same month last year was 574.8kwh and the solar system produced 649.5kwh. This is for the month of Feb. of this year.

2905.6 + 574.8 - 649.5 = 2830.9Kwh

Now instead of trying to guess what my actual electric bill would have been I'll just use firstenergy's very handy bill calculator.

Which comes out to... $397.46. Sure my gas bill for that month was much less, $228.35 to be exact. But this is a combined bill of both electric and gas. And I would be saving that minimum monthly charge for 5-6 months of the year. And does not take into account the credit I have accumulated from the nearly 3Mwh I have put into the grid so far this year. Before solar I would average $130 a month for electric. Right now I currently have a credit approaching $100 and growing.

Any mistakes in my math?

• Hot_water_fan
    @JakeCK COP of 2 seems conservative! This writer got 2.5 using a Nordic in Vermont

https://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/article/air-to-water-heat-pump-retrofit
  • JakeCK
    edited June 2022
    ChrisJ said:

"Going all electric" is a fad right now just like pounding "efficiency" into people's minds like it's the only thing important.
    I don't know man, this electric fad has been going strong for over a century now. And energy efficiency since the 70's when the oil embargo hit. But I'm sure this fab will pass real soon, once all the dino fuel is used up.
  • JakeCK

@JakeCK COP of 2 seems conservative! This writer got 2.5 using a Nordic in Vermont https://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/article/air-to-water-heat-pump-retrofit

I like using conservative numbers.
    Hot_water_fan
  • ChrisJ
    JakeCK said:

That's a lot of money just for the privilege of having a combustible toxic gas piped into your house

Yes, having a combustible toxic gas piped into your house.
    Are you suggesting an electrical service is magically safe and has never harmed anyone?

Most of the time with a gas leak people realize it before it gets ugly.
    However judging by the amount of electrical fires per year that doesn't seem to be the case with electrical wiring.

I'm not suggesting we shouldn't have electricity but let's stop with the scary descriptions. Fair is fair.

Home electrical fires account for an estimated 51,000 fires each year, nearly than 500 deaths, more than 1,400 injuries, and $1.3 billion in property damage.
    realliveplumberrick in Alaska
  • JakeCK
    Also there has been a %50 increase in the price of NG just in the past 12 months. Who knows if it will go back down or continue to go up. But my guess is up once winter rolls back around.
  • JakeCK
    edited June 2022
    ChrisJ said:

JakeCK said:

That's a lot of money just for the privilege of having a combustible toxic gas piped into your house

Are you suggesting an electrical service is magically safe and has never harmed anyone?

However judging by the amount of electrical fires per year that doesn't seem to be the case with electrical wiring.

I'm not suggesting we shouldn't have electricity but let's stop with the scary descriptions. Fair is fair.

Home electrical fires account for an estimated 51,000 fires each year, nearly than 500 deaths, more than 1,400 injuries, and $1.3 billion in property damage.
    And then $*** like this happens.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merrimack_Valley_gas_explosions

Also how many of those house fires are caused by the home owner doing something stupid like running an extension cord to a space heater under a rug?
  • ChrisJ
    JakeCK said:

Also there has been a %50 increase in the price of NG just in the past 12 months. Who knows if it will go back down or continue to go up. But my guess is up once winter rolls back around.

If the price of NG is up, the price of electric will follow.
    pecmsg
  • ChrisJ
    JakeCK said:

ChrisJ said:

JakeCK said:

And yet, it still doesn't come close to the amount of damage from electrical fires.

Look, you want a heat pump go for it. I'll just sit over here pointing and laughing. :D
    realliveplumber
  • Hot_water_fan
    If the price of NG is up, the price of electric will follow.

A great part of using electricity is that it provides more consumer choice. Right now, I can use wind, solar, nuclear, coal and gas to heat my house. All my eggs aren't in one basket. Add in that heat pumps are more gas efficient than gas appliances, the gas price increases won't hit as hard.
  • JakeCK
    edited June 2022
    ChrisJ said:

JakeCK said:

ChrisJ said:

JakeCK said:

And yet, it still doesn't come close to the amount of damage from electrical fires.

Look, you want a heat pump go for it. I'll just sit over here pointing and laughing. :D
    Pointing and laughing? So is my math wrong? If so please point out where so I can rerun the numbers. Maybe I'm wrong.

• JakeCK
    edited June 2022
    Last months electric bill, solar system went live mid October:

• JakeCK
    ron said:

ratio said:

Do you mind if your electricity is shut off because there isn't enough to go around?

that's ok, better than mean tweets right?

Stop, no politics.
    ChrisJErin Holohan Haskell
  • pecmsg
    In the middle of the winter i can run my boiler and circulator off a small generator or even the wife's car inverter.

Not going to happen with heat pumps and stoves!
    Solid_Fuel_Man
  • ChrisJ
    JakeCK said:

ChrisJ said:

JakeCK said:

ChrisJ said:

JakeCK said:

Pointing and laughing? So is my math wrong? If so please point out where so I can rerun the numbers. Maybe I'm wrong.

It's the best I've got right now.
    I don't know if your math is wrong or not, but I do know you can't predict the future. None of us can.

If I had to bet, I'd say you're going to pay more with electric.
  • JakeCK
    edited June 2022
    pecmsg said:

In the middle of the winter i can run my boiler and circulator off a small generator or even the wife's car inverter.

You know, I've always said that too. My boiler's largest draw is the circulator and that uses what, like an amp of current? But I have yet to actually have to do that in the 12 years I have lived in this house now. And I can run a heat pump off a generator if need be. My current generator? no I'd have to get a bigger one with a nice low THD, but I've been wanting one anyways.

I also keep forgetting I have a wood burning fireplace too. I used to have a ventless log set in it but disconnected it a while back. I want to get a wood insert. If I got a good one with a blower I could heat the house with that in an emergency. And it doesn't need any power to work. The newer EPA inserts are about as efficient as my boiler too.
  • ChrisJ
    JakeCK said:

pecmsg said:

You know, I've always said that too. My boiler's largest draw is the circulator and that uses what, like an amp of current? But I have yet to actually have to do that in the 12 years I have lived in this house now. And I can run a heat pump off a generator if need be. My current generator? no I'd have to get a bigger one with a nice low THD, but I've been wanting one anyways.
    I ran my 2 stage air conditioner with ECM blower off of my home built portable generator running on natural gas while doing some tests.

I have no idea how low it's actual THD but the system didn't seem to care.

I'd have more faith in a cheap conventional generator than a cheap inverter when it comes to that. There are some who claim capacitor regulated brushless alternators are bad but I decided to go with one due to simplicity and I have zero complaints.

Expensive inverters are a whole other discussion. A good Honda should have no problems, portable or not.
  • pecmsg
    JakeCK said:

pecmsg said:

I also keep forgetting I have a wood burning fireplace too. I used to have a ventless log set in it but disconnected it a while back. I want to get a wood insert. If I got a good one with a blower I could heat the house with that in an emergency. And the newer EPA inserts are about as efficient as my boiler.
    Yes, you can run it but to be able to start it will require a much larger generator and now your back to gas or oil.

I'm not sold on all electric in the near future. On the isl of long a huge upgrade of the grid will have to be made, what's that going to do to your rates?
  • JakeCK
    ChrisJ said:

JakeCK said:

pecmsg said:

I ran my 2 stage air conditioner with ECM blower off of my home built portable generator running on natural gas while doing some tests.

I'd have more faith in a cheap conventional generator than a cheap inverter when it comes to that. There are some who claim capacitor regulated brushless alternators are bad but I decided to go with one due to simplicity and I have zero complaints.

Expensive inverters are a whole other discussion. A good Honda should have no problems, portable or not.
    I wouldn't get an inverter generator at that size. Winco makes a 12kw tri fuel gen with a honda engine. The power it puts out is cleaner then the grid. Not cheap tho.

Also I've read that newer heat pumps are sensitive to distortion. Probably the electronics getting stupid?
  • JakeCK
    pecmsg said:

JakeCK said:

pecmsg said:

I also keep forgetting I have a wood burning fireplace too. I used to have a ventless log set in it but disconnected it a while back. I want to get a wood insert. If I got a good one with a blower I could heat the house with that in an emergency. And the newer EPA inserts are about as efficient as my boiler.
    Yes, you can run it but to be able to start it will require a much larger generator and now your back to gas or oil.

I'm not sold on all electric in the near future. On the isl of long a huge upgrade of the grid will have to be made, what's that going to do to your rates?
    On RV's that is often a problem for generators when the AC kicks on. The solution is a soft start capacitor.

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,022
    JakeCK said:

pecmsg said:

I also keep forgetting I have a wood burning fireplace too. I used to have a ventless log set in it but disconnected it a while back. I want to get a wood insert. If I got a good one with a blower I could heat the house with that in an emergency. And it doesn't need any power to work. The newer EPA inserts are about as efficient as my boiler too.
    If you go with a bigger generator, look into a cogen, gives you hydronic heat/ hot water and power. I think the Lochinvar can get about 160,000 BTU/hr on the thermal side, 24KW.
    Share some KW with a neighbor during power outages :)

Going with all or partial electric is entirely a personal choice. With your PV array it is a no-brainer.
    Remembering everyone posting here has electricity powering their AC and computers to hate on electricity :)
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    JakeCK
  • JakeCK
    hot_rod said:

JakeCK said:

pecmsg said:

If you go with a bigger generator, look into a cogen, gives you hydronic heat/ hot water and power. I think the Lochinvar can get about 160,000 BTU/hr on the thermal side, 24KW.
    Share some KW with a neighbor during power outages :)

Going with all or partial electric is entirely a personal choice. With your PV array it is a no-brainer.
    Remembering everyone posting here has electricity powering their AC and computers to hate on electricity :)
    I've looked at cogens. But I have no need for that much power or heat. And it kind of defeats the purpose of telling the gas co to shove it up their exhaust pipe.
  • pecmsg
    JakeCK said:

ChrisJ said:

JakeCK said:

pecmsg said:

I wouldn't get an inverter generator at that size. Winco makes a 12kw tri fuel gen with a honda engine. The power it puts out is cleaner then the grid. Not cheap tho.

Also I've read that newer heat pumps are sensitive to distortion. Probably the electronics getting stupid?
    My point is once you go all electric does the utility allow gas or oil at the residence and still get a preferred rate? Many if not most do not.
  • Hot_water_fan
    My point is once you go all electric does the utility allow gas or oil at the residence and still get a preferred rate? Many if not most do not.

Maybe. I could see the opposite happening too - maybe a utility prefers a hybrid system instead of resistance backup.