Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

using radiators with heatpump

wmaring
wmaring Member Posts: 1
I have a wtw heat pump and pex under my subfloor with a hardwood floating floor. I'm not getting heat through the floor and cork underlay(checked with flir camera). thinking of adding base board radiators and using 130 degree water. will the radiators work at that temp? ...that or take up the floor and remove underlayment, but not sure that will help.

Comments

• Dave H_2
    Dave H_2 Member Posts: 550
    We just did a webinar on this several weeks ago on how to design low temp hydronics. You can watch it here

So the answer is yes you can use low temperature but Do the Math based upon your emitters.

However, radiant floor heating with 130F should be working. There are some things to check, is the insulation in properly and sealed against the rim joists?
    Was there a design performed with the heatloss of the room(s)?
    Are you using heat transfer plates or just the tubing itself?

Dave H.
    Dave H
    kcopp
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,162
    The radiators will be warm at that water temperature -- but they won't put out much heat. Less than half as much as you would get with normal hot water heat.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,022
    Do you know the heat load of the rooms that are under-performing? There are cases where the floor radiant alone will not cover the load, floor coverings, lots of built in etc.

Here is some info on rad output and low temperature systems in general.

https://www.caleffi.com/sites/default/files/file/idronics_25_na.pdf
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    wmaring
  • neilc
    neilc Member Posts: 2,689
    silly question, but,
    you sure you have flow thru all your loops?
    nothing airbound?
    known to beat dead horses
  • bburd
    bburd Member Posts: 909
    “Cork underlay”?  Cork is an excellent insulator.

Bburd