Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Smell from NYC Radiator

SRubi
SRubi Member Posts: 24
My steam radiator in my 1960s apartment building has been smelling like burning iron. This has been going on for about 3 months now. I cleaned it out and vacuumed the coils but it still gives off a smell. When I asked the super they said there is nothing they can do about it that sometimes it smells like that. I have lived here for 6 years and it has never smelled, I am also the only apartment in a very large building that is having this problem. It smells all the time even when no heat is being given and it smells even more when the heat does turn on especially in the mornings or after a warmer spell. I notice it smells the most by the valve that turns it on and off. Any advice would be great, I am getting really frustrated.

Comments

• pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,776
    edited December 2021
    Thats most likely an External smell 
    vacuum or wash the radiator. 
    SRubireggi
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,226
    I moved into a building in Tribeca on Harrison St in 2014. It had 300 units and mine was the only one with a problem. There was this occasional mothball smell that no one could find. The building decided to replace the radiators at some point even though I knew that wasn't the issue. Still there. We never found it. We moved out two years later. My bet is that your smell is coming from somewhere else. Can you wrap the radiator in plastic or something to try to isolate it?
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
    SRubiethicalpaul
  • SRubi
    @JohnNY Seems like it definitely is coming from the radiator and it smells like iron. It's a studio so it's a bit easier to isolate the smell. But so strange my friends in the sister apartment building have been having a strange moth ball smell occasionally-not from their radiator.
  • HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,426
    edited December 2021
    So, you are sure the smell isn't coming from your neighbor's apartment.
    Smelly neighbors aren't that uncommon. Sorry, I have bad taste, I guess. I'm sure you have fine neighbors.

You might try washing it with TSP and rinsing it with clear water, use a spray bottle. It's the only radiator in your apt that's affected? Could a rodent be trapped in it and expired?
  • SRubi
    @HomerJSmith Thank you. Haha I don't think it's my neighbors. I only have one radiator since it is a studio apartment. If I go up to it the smell is clearly radiating from there. I don't smell it in other rooms where the vents are but the radiator isn't- if that makes sense. I had maintenance come and they cleaned it but still smells not as bad though, maybe it needs a better clean??
  • SRubi
    @JohnNY Also, thank you for your help!
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,476
    Is this a radiator or a convector element in a cabinet? There is a hole where the steam feed pipe comes into that room. Try stuffing something around that incoming pipe (not plastic) and see if that cuts the smell down.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • SRubi
    @BobC after googling it is a convector element in a cabinet. Does this make a difference? Thank you. 
  • SRubi
    @BobC I’ll definitely look when I get home. The smells seems worse by where the knob to turn it on and off is not so much the coils. It also seems to lessen the longer the heats been on. When it’s off for a few days or early mornings is when it smells it’s worst. It’s gotten less smelly over time but still a smell of iron. 
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,513
    Do you have a cat or dog?
    Retired and loving it.
  • SRubi
    @DanHolohan no and I’ve been at this place for 6 years. First time smelling anything like this. 
  • DanHolohan
    Can you take the cover off and see the heating element? There may be something stuck between the fins.

Do you burn a lot of candles? I'm asking because convectors move anything that's able to move through the air into themselves. Stuff goes into the bottom, where the air is coolest, and then rises upward. If things get stuck in there you can get a smell.
    Retired and loving it.
  • SRubi
    @DanHolohan I can take the cover off. I had maintenance in my building do it but I’ll do it myself. Hmm I don’t burn candles often and I dust weekly but maybe from years it’s building up?   
  • DanHolohan
  • DanHolohan
    Also, ask your super if anyone added chemicals to the boiler recently. You have one-pipe steam and the air that's in the pipes and convector vent into your apartment on each cycle. That's normal, but if they added something to the system, say for cleaning the boiler, you may be smelling that.

And some people are more sensitive to odors than others. We've seen that many times here on The Wall. Some tenants smell nothing; but highly sensitive people will.
    Retired and loving it.
    SRubi
  • Hap_Hazzard
    Hap_Hazzard Member Posts: 2,846
    I think she has a convector. I never found a brush fine enough to get between the fins. I used to hold a vacuum over it and loosen the dust with a screwdriver blade.
    Just another DIYer | King of Prussia, PA
    1983(?) Peerless G-561-W-S | 3" drop header, CG400-1090, VXT-24
    SRubi
  • SRubi
    @DanHolohan I am definitely very sensitive to smells so I know even though it’s not as bad as it was two months ago it’s still bothering me. I asked maintenance a few times, they said it’s just dust and they can’t do anything. Thanks so much, this is very helpful! 
  • DanHolohan
    A straw-cleaning brush works. 
    Retired and loving it.
    Hap_HazzardMike Cascio
  • DanHolohan
    Happy to help!
    Retired and loving it.
  • neilc
    neilc Member Posts: 2,691
    besides the 1 pipe vent,
    is there a control valve under the convector?
    possible a loose union or packing gland, something leaking?

can you determine the odor from one end or the other?

post a picture
    known to beat dead horses
  • SRubi

• SRubi

• SRubi
    This is where I smell it the most.
  • SRubi
    I reached in there with a rag when on and off and I don't think there is any leaking.
  • DanHolohan
    May we see the other side of the convector? Thanks. 
    Retired and loving it.
  • DanHolohan
    Also, please take a pic of the whole convector with the cover off from your POV when you’re standing in front of it. Thanks. 
    Retired and loving it.
  • neilc
    SRubi said:

I reached in there with a rag when on and off and I don't think there is any leaking.

if it's a steam leak (like an air leak) you may not see feel moisture,
    maybe with a cold mirror, when the boiler is running, you might find condensation,
    or a big shiney cold salad spoon,

but we need to see the other end of the convector first
  • SRubi

• SRubi
    That side smells like normal heat the other has the more metallic smell coming from it, it is not very strong right now, thankfully, but still there.
  • DanHolohan
    I stand I corrected. You have two-pipe steam, so venting smells are not a concern. 
    Retired and loving it.
  • DanHolohan
    I think those fins would benefit by a cleaning. 
    Retired and loving it.
    SRubi
  • DanHolohan
    There’s rust below the valve. Coil be some steam leaking on that end. 
    Retired and loving it.
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,776
    Vacuum the bottom with the brush attachment. Move it in the direction of the fins. 
    SRubi
  • SRubi
    @DanHolohan Do I need to do anything about the rust or is giving it a good clean probably going to help?
  • DanHolohan
    Just the cleaning. I think that will help. 
    Retired and loving it.
  • SRubi
    Thank you so so much! This is very helpful, now to cleaning!
  • neilc
    can we get one more of the smelly end, close up, where the brass valve threads into the silver convector header, and capturing all 5/6 tubes to the convector where they attach to the header,
    angle down on the shot, from the control knob area
  • DanHolohan
    This is HeatingHelp.com.com at its best. Everyone matters. Thanks to all of you. 
    Retired and loving it.
    Larry WeingartenPC7060
  • SRubi

• SRubi
    I tried, I hope this is ok!