Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Home Builders at work in 1928

DanHolohan
DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,512
edited November 2021 in THE MAIN WALL
This is worth a watch.

And the plumbers are really going to enjoy it!

Note that the only heating system appears to be the fireplace.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bH-cDGyW7k
Retired and loving it.
Zmanttekushan_3

Comments

• JakeCK
    JakeCK Member Posts: 1,356
    The more things change, the more they stay the same. Doesn't look all that different than today.
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,695
    Now I know who to blame!! ;)
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
    jinbtown
  • PC7060
    PC7060 Member Posts: 1,155
    Like the use of modern single floor wall framings. My 1928 home was built by old school guys with ballon framing. 
  • DanHolohan
    I don't see them insulating the walls.
    Retired and loving it.
  • PC7060

I don't see them insulating the walls.

That is something common with my home.
  • PC7060
    The electrical work install conduit was very nice. 2/3 of my house was K&T before someone wised up the they switched to BX cable at some point.

My 1928 builder even installed gas lighting in a couple places. I'm guessing they weren't confident in the electrical supply.
  • delcrossv
    delcrossv Member Posts: 740
    JakeCK said:

The more things change, the more they stay the same. Doesn't look all that different than today.

Yep. Poured lead seals on soil pipe and EMT (conduit) for wiring are still common/code around here.
    The speed and ease which plasterers apply brown coat and white coat always amazes me. That's like magic. :open_mouth:
    Trying to squeeze the best out of a Weil-McLain JB-5 running a 1912 1 pipe system.
  • delcrossv
    PC7060 said:

The electrical work install conduit was very nice. 2/3 of my house was K&T before someone wised up the they switched to BX cable at some point.

My 1928 builder even installed gas lighting in a couple places. I'm guessing they weren't confident in the electrical supply.

My brother's building had combo fixtures: wires doing down to a bulb, gas pipe going up to a mantle. Fired them up when we were installing new service- after all , light is light. ;)
    Trying to squeeze the best out of a Weil-McLain JB-5 running a 1912 1 pipe system.
    PC7060
  • JakeCK
    Let me clarify. Sure their are differences but considering how much everything else has changed in a 100 years the process of building a home is relatively unchanged. I'd imagine if one of those old timers were picked up and dropped on to a modern build site and they'd be able to pick up a hammer and go with just minor guidance.

ethicalpauldelcrossv
  • Canucker
    Canucker Member Posts: 722
    My back is sore from watching the flooring and tub go in and I'll bet the sparky didn't clean up his mess either. Must be somewhere warm with the depth of the footings, California?
    You can have it good, fast or cheap. Pick two
    Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
  • JakeCK
    Canucker said:
    My back is sore from watching the flooring and tub go in and I'll bet the sparky didn't clean up his mess either. Must be somewhere warm with the depth of the footings, California?
    I was thinking somewhere in the american southwest too. The stucco is much more common down there.

@DanHolohan
    I remember reading a while back that there was more to them not insulating buildings than just energy being cheap. It was also to help control moisture, and this was understood enough that painters didn't like to paint houses that had it because of paint failure. Have you ever heard that or am I remembering incorrectly?

Also pretty sure Sears even advertised rock wool in their catalog back in the 20's. I could have sworn I see it listed in the same catalog my house was in.

• PC7060
    edited December 2021
    Maybe the UK?

Edit: Nope, looks like Purinton Pictures were a US company; Purinton Pictures , 4404 42d St. , San Diego , Calif .

PS: Like the wheelbarrow hill assist guys
  • SweatHog
    SweatHog Member Posts: 30
    So nicely dressed back then, with shirts bleached and ironed with sporty hats. Look like they are going to the club B)
    JohnNY
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,572
    Was that a tiny steam engine running the cement mixer?

A 1928 circular saw?
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,226
    I love those 2-side skirted tubs.
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
    delcrossvttekushan_3Long Beach Ed
  • psb75
    psb75 Member Posts: 828
    Sure looks like CA. Mention of termites means someplace warmish. I'm blown away by all of the cement, stucco, plaster, grout etc. Also the skip sheathing on the roof and cedar shingles. Fireplace + cedar shingles in CA....TODAY? Notsomuch.
  • DanHolohan

@JackC, I've not read that (moisture concerns), but it does make sense. I also suspect this house is in a warmer climate since it doesn't appear to have a heating system.

Thanks for speculating with me!
    Retired and loving it.
  • bucksnort
    bucksnort Member Posts: 167
    House like that in CA would probably go for a million bucks right now.
  • delcrossv
    edited December 2021
    @jad3675 Gypsum lath is a dream compared to having to get into a wall with metal lath. :open_mouth:
    Cool video!
  • JakeCK
    jad3675 said:
    This video is pretty good for those of us who have had to work inside the wall of older houses. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1CACkgUJcU
    What year is that from? I had just mentioned that they were aware of the affect of water vapor and condensation in walls back in the day. At the 7 minute mark they state as much. awesome.
  • jad3675
    jad3675 Member Posts: 127
    edited December 2021
    JakeCK said:

jad3675 said:

This video is pretty good for those of us who have had to work inside the wall of older houses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1CACkgUJcU

What year is that from? I had just mentioned that they were aware of the affect of water vapor and condensation in walls back in the day. At the 7 minute mark they state as much. awesome.
    I think it's early 50's - no later than 54. The Canadian Ensign shown at the 18 minute mark was last used in '57. I don't see any mid-late 50's cars in the opening shot (I think the gray car in the foreground is a '47 ford, actually).
  • mattmia2
    I wonder if that section about hey you can use vermiculite instead of sand to make light weight brown coat is why rocklath has a tendency to have asbestos in it?
    delcrossv
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,695
    psb75 said:

Sure looks like CA. Mention of termites means someplace warmish. I'm blown away by all of the cement, stucco, plaster, grout etc. Also the skip sheathing on the roof and cedar shingles. Fireplace + cedar shingles in CA....TODAY? Notsomuch.

Termites are in Michigan, definitely not warmish
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
    mattmia2
  • Voyager
    Voyager Member Posts: 393
    That was when a 2x4 was really a 2x4 and the lumber quality is amazing compared to today. Although, I see film makers then are like today and still don’t know the difference between concrete and cement. 😁
    ttekushan_3
  • BradHotNCold
    BradHotNCold Member Posts: 70
    Graduated high school at 18, in 1961, went to work as a carpenter's helper and labor for a commercial builder. (Full disclosure, Mom was their bookkeeper!) This film brought back so many memories! Thanks, Dan!

• ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,583

psb75 said:

Termites are in Michigan, definitely not warmish
    They're also in NJ, PA..
    Alaska doesn't have them but I think they're limited but still exist in Montana.

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • BradHotNCold
    BradHotNCold Member Posts: 70
    To be clear, I went to college after working construction summers, graduated and worked behind a desk for 40 years until retirement.
  • ttekushan_3
    ttekushan_3 Member Posts: 958
    Maybe they hadn’t gotten to installing the Clow Gasteam radiators yet while filming this 😁
    terry
  • TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 755
    How many nails can the guy doing the roof hold in his mouth !!

Volunteered helping to restore an historic property near Valley Forge in college ... the spring house roof was my job. Needed that guy ... !

My arms hurt seeing the floor guys .... although it was most likely all pine (finished floor and sub)

• scott w.
    scott w. Member Posts: 207
    My house was built in 1928. It has no wood lath used. When I did the renovations it was all gypsum board. Love to watch a plasterer at work.

Did anyone notice the thickness of the tile that went in the bathroom? I just bought chicken wire last month to keep the deer off newly planted trees. My stuff didn't look nearly as thick as what is in the film.........

Miami now has termites that will devour cement block of course they are an import from S. America!. When theses Particular breed are found they block off the whole street and try to exterminate them. Can be very very destructive.
  • Voyager
    Voyager Member Posts: 393
    Your builder was an early adopter. Drywall didn’t hit the market until something like 1916 and wasn’t heavily adopted until around WWII.
    PC7060
  • mattmia2
    Rocklath(gypsum board with 2 or 3 coat plaster over it) was common in the 30's. My house was built in 1924 and has original drywall although they hadn't figured out the tapering the edges and paper tape yet and it is nailed up with nails with tiny heads that pop instead of drywall nails.
  • jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,226
    I like to guess what how heating contractor thought. Was two pipe that much more difficult to install? I suspect many contractors did what their favorite supplier suggested.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,583
    Single pipe steam was the cheapest solution before forced air 
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment