Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Need some further heating system setup advice

Stylez777
Stylez777 Member Posts: 28
So a previous discussion I had issues and decided to hire someone to come out and install a Taco 4 zone ZVC with priority to replace my transformer / spliced birds nest setup. Guy came, looked said not a problem gave me a price and we were good to go. Next day, delay cause he could get the part and would happen today. Now he calls me today and says this:

Since I only have 1 circulator it makes no sense to install the Zone Switch relay, I'd have to redo my whole system and add 4 circulators." I said to him, I asked him to install a Zone Controller, not a switch relay so why would I have to redo anything? He said he was coming back today to relook and see what can be done.

So, what is the deal? I mean I have a Furnace, a circulator off the furnace and 4 Zone Valves, 3 to each zone in my house and a hot water tank. It should be pretty simple to wire up a Zone Valve controller right? I don't have to redo my system with circulators like this guy is saying right???

Comments

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    edited November 2021
    You are correct. He is probably an expert in the construction of "Bird Nests" and does not understand what the issue is. You should be able to give him a part number and wiring diagram to "enlighten" him.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
    MikeAmann
  • Stylez777
    Stylez777 Member Posts: 28
    Zman said:

You are correct. He is probably an expert in the construction of "Bird Nests" and does not understand what the issue is. You should be able to give him a part number and wiring diagram to "enlighten" him.

I am def not an expert on this at all but even with him saying I need to install a 2nd Circulator for it too work also doesn't seem right. I mean, what is he benefit of that? It should work off the 1 Circulator now, it is a 23gpm Circulator and I don't think my system will be calling for 230,000 BTU...

Can't I just tell this guy, wire each Zone valve into each zone on the controller, and wire the Hot Water Heater Valve to zone 4 which is the priority zone and all should work?
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    edited November 2021
    Yes it will work as is. But you need the right zone control. Some are for zone valves (Taco ZV for zone valves) some are for pumps (Taco SR...switching relays) Page 28 on the attached is probably what you need. Maybe you need someone with a stronger electrical background. He shouldn't have to look at it more than once
    MikeAmann
  • MikeAmann
    MikeAmann Member Posts: 996
    It sounds like you know more about wiring this than "this guy" does. Find someone else.
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,575
    Also possible that he just forgot what he looked at depending on what else is going on and how long ago it was. Not a good sign but might be ok to proceed with caution. Maybe ask for some pictures of other installs and some references to talk to.
  • Tom_133
    Tom_133 Member Posts: 883
    Find someone else. Where are you located?
    Tom
    Montpelier Vt