Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Triangle Tube Condensate Trap Question...

Javelin
Javelin Member Posts: 138
Plumbing Pros, Every year I take off my condensate drain to clean it out.. I noticed this year (maybe it was always like this) that the ball inside sinks to the bottom of the trap. Is that normal? It SEEMS like it's blocking the path for the condensate to leave through the flexible tube.. I sort of maybe remember it used to float? Can anyone weigh in? Do these go bad? is it supposed to float instead of sink?

Comments

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    It should float. I am thinking yours has a leak and is waterlogged.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • Javelin
    as always - thank you Zman for your expertise. Do you think I can just get a replacement ball somewhere? Supply house has the whole assembly, but its $80:

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Triangle-Tube-PSRKIT05-Condensate-Drain-Assembly-for-Prestige-Solo-110-Boiler

What if I leave it as it is (sunken).. is that a big no-no.. Or should I just remove the ball all-together for now (so it doesn't get in the way)?

I'm not really sure how it's supposed to work. Thanks!
  • jad3675
    jad3675 Member Posts: 127
    edited November 2021
    I was going to suggest measuring the ball and getting a replacement, but I wonder if it's 'special' since the condensate has high PH?

I think you would be better off removing it, since being sunken like that it is blocking the trap exit.

Huh, looks like Lochinvar uses the same trap.

• Zman
    The Lochinvar is the same assembly. You probably need to buy the whole part. Is it the same size as a ping pong ball :|? I have often wondered as they bounce across the floor towards the drain.
    Albert Einstein
  • Javelin
    Thank you both.. I'll order a Lochinvar assembly and save me $25 and take the ball OUT completely until I get the new one. What if I just left it out though? What's the point of the ball (other then sinking and fouling things up)?
    ronbugg
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    Not sure the ball may just be an indicator or maybe it blocks flue gas from escaping if the trap is empty
  • Zman

Not sure the ball may just be an indicator or maybe it blocks flue gas from escaping if the trap is empty

I think it blocks the flue when the trap is empty.
    I am pretty sure you could play ping-pong with it in a pinch.
    Albert Einstein
    PC7060
  • dopey27177
    dopey27177 Member Posts: 887
    Take the ball out. Find where the leak is. Use a hair drier to heat the ball and the water will flow out. You can use and epoxy to close the cracks or hole in the ball and then reuse the salvaged part. This is green method to help save the planet.

Jake
  • ednelson7373
    ednelson7373 Member Posts: 8
    hi my name is Ed I'm in tech support for triangle tube
    the ball should float
    unfortunately you can not buy just the ball the part number for the trap assembly is PSRKIT05 feel free to reach out if you need further help
    856 228 8881
    thank you
    Ed
    kcoppPC7060
  • tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,752
    Ed’s a great guy.
  • ced48
    ced48 Member Posts: 469
    You can buy 10 1" polyethylene balls from Zoro $5.95 + shipping, cost me $5. The balls become waterlogged. Their purpose is to block flue gases from escaping from the bottom of the boiler, thru the condensate drain pipe. Balls only last 5 or six years, makers should advise on this and provide replacement balls for a couple of bucks.
  • kolyan
    kolyan Member Posts: 17
    You can try sanding it. Over years ball is covered with all sorts of stuff, after sanding, it started floating again 
  • tim smith
    I ended up ordering bag of 25 polypropylene  balls from I think plastic ball company. I measured with calipers then ordered. Perfect. Irritated me that had to buy entire trap just to replace water logged balls. Polypropylene is the same mat used in venting so can withstand the chemicals.
    Le John
  • tim smith
    https://www.plasticballs.com/plastic-balls-polypropylene.html
    Here is the link to company. I think they were 1" diameter but verify
    Le John