Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Time for a new boiler?

Jmassaro21
Jmassaro21 Member Posts: 10

Based on the looks of this pipe, would it be absolutely necessary to replace the entire boiler or would it be possible/worthwhile to only replace the pipe/block?

Comments

• ScottSecor
    ScottSecor Member Posts: 849
    We have attempted repairs on near boiler piping that looked similar to yours. About two out of ten times we were sucessful, needless to say we almost never attempt to make these reapirs these days. I hate to give you the bad news, but I think it may be time for replacement.

Assuming this is the system return, I suspect the connection to the boiler has been leaking for years. Could be threaed, or flanged or something else. I'm guessing that whatever the "sealing' method is, the surface is beyond repair.
    Ironmankcopp
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,366
    How about some more info on the make, model, size and age of the boiler? 

What type of radiation do you have?
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • Jmassaro21
    I have baseboards and convector cabinets. Not sure of the age but estimating around 30 years old

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,366
    I doubt that you’ll find a new boiler section for something that old. And it certainly wouldn’t be worth the cost unless you’re selling the house.

Time for a new boiler.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • Jmassaro21
    That’s what I thought and just wanted to confirm. Thank you!
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,803
    The connection at the boiler is a circulator flange, as is the connection on the other side. To remove that, the bolts need to be drilled out. New threads tapped. Then the mating surfaces must be ground smooth as a baby's bottom. New gasket. New bolts. 
    Looks like a headache and a half. 
    I know the old package Weil McLain 66 and 68 series came with a similar connection on the return. On those boilers the block itself was also tapped for 1-1/2" NPT threads. 
    Do you have a manual that shows the block?
  • Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Alan (California Radiant) Forbes Member Posts: 3,976
    edited October 2021

If you can locate the part, it might be worth a try. I've had excellent service from Hydrotherm boilers. Power Boiler Sales in Richmond, CA may have those parts in stock.

I'd wait until the weather warms up again before attempting any repairs.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    Yeah, if it's not leaking now wait for warmer weather