Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Kitchen remodel, replace baseboard with toekick

Options
Randall6
Randall6 Member Posts: 1
Greetings. So, in preparing to demo an interior kitchen wall, with 10 ft of baseboard, we intend to put a toekick heater on the opposite exterior wall to replace the heat in the room. The baseboard is the first 10 ft. of approximately 25 ft of baseboard on the loop. It shares a return with the 25 ft of baseboard on the other side of the first floor (3/4"x3/4"x1" tee). The heating apparatus is a Burnham Jubilee, 1968 install date.

So, the plan is cut out the baseboard, and cut in 2 diverter tees, with shutoffs on both lines, and a drain/purge on the return of the toekick, before it rejoins the main supply. Should I also add a shutoff for the downstream baseboard on that loop? Would there be any need for balancing valves anywhere in the proposed setup?

Thoughts, concerns?

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,284
    Options
    I don't like diverter Ts. Never have, never will. But they do work... sometimes.

You'd be much better off in my humble opinion piping your new toekick in parallel with the remaining baseboard on the loop, and providing balancing valves on both it and the remaining baseboard.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England