Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Taco 220 Flochek- is this installed backwards?

Bucky
Bucky Member Posts: 47
Hi guys, in preparation to correct some improperly installed piping, I noticed this which I assume is also "incorrect". I assume that the normal water flow is supposed to be in the direction of the arrows? In this case, the water flow is right-to-left/down. So is it correct to assume that this isn't doing anything to prevent gravity flow? Also, this is on the return side of a single-pipe primary/secondary system- are these even necessary here? Note that I am not seeing any symptoms or problems due to ghost or gravity flow- I just want to make sure I get things correct as I make these remediations. Thanks.

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    You have a choice when you install that Taco flo check. the "outlet" is the right hand port. The inlet can be either the "bottom" port which you are using or the "left" port which has a plug in it.

So if your water flow is in at the bottom and out on the right you are ok.

Flow checks are only needed on systems with multiple zones and no zone valves.

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506

Flow checks are only needed on systems with multiple zones and no zone valves.

And boilers with a tankless coils.

steve
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    It's to old to be in wrong.
  • Bucky
    Thanks. Sigh. Yep, I can be pretty, pretty dumb sometimes. The manifold is to the right. This being a return, of course the flow is left to right. "What goes out of a manifold, must come in to a manifold". Or something like that!

So it's gonna be a four zone primary/secondary single-pipe system with zone circulator (obv.) but no zone valves. When I retrofit a return back to the manifold adjacent to its supply tee like should've been done all alone, should I put a flochek in there? Good, bad, can't hurt?

Thanks!
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    Don’t use a flow check with zone valves or manifold actuators.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • Bucky
    but I *should* in my case- with zone circs? Thanks!