Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Move vent or new dv system?

Damien
Damien Member Posts: 5
HI!

In doing our renovations, we found that the boiler B-vent goes straight through the walls to the roof. (Yes, should have thought of that beforehand) We removed one of the walls (1st floor between kitchen and dr) so now we have this sheet-metal vent pipe just standing there. We've asked around and gotten some quotes and basically see two options:

1. Get a chimney guy to replace the vent with an exterior one. Our town requires exterior chimneys to be covered to look like the rest of the house, which is an additional cost.

2. Replace the entire system with a direct vent system (perhaps a combi, or perhaps a dv boiler with a tank).

I need to make a decision soon, because we can't get our countertops until we get rid of this pipe! Anyone with any ideas about which option is best? Thank you!!

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    How old and what shape is the existing boiler in?

I think I would be inclined to go for the new boiler.

By the time you install the new chimney, enclose it, insulate it, paint, flashing etc, man lift to install it that would probably = the cost of a new boiler in a crate
  • Damien
    Damien Member Posts: 5
    Thank you! We're going to go that route.
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,718
    edited October 2021
    Also, B vent manufacturers recommend that B vent be protected from the outdoor temperature until it penetrates the roof. That exterior pipe will not warm ups a fast on the outside of the building. That may cause issues with operation of the existing boiler.

The new boiler will use less fuel than the old boiler. Use that savings to offset the additional cost of the install. Savings on chimney + savings on fuel = New Boiler ( that is the old math )
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics