Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Remove Air Vent on Boiler (Pumping Away)

Mudaero
Mudaero Member Posts: 46
Hey all, hopefully this should be quick. If I am building my system using Dan's Pumping Away method, do I still need the air vent that comes directly off the boiler (Weil McClain HE II)? I was hoping I could just cap that as there will be a Spirovent Micro Bubble separator on the supply line.

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    You can cap it or put a vent on it.

I would put a vent on it with a valve beneath the vent. The boiler is a "slow place in the road" and will help get rid of the air quickly
    mattmia2
  • mjstraw
    mjstraw Member Posts: 41
    With just capping it off, I'd be concerned about a large bubble of air building up behind the internal baffle.  Not sure if this would cause problems with boiler performance or longevity.
    Mark
    Indiana PA

• Mudaero
    Mudaero Member Posts: 46
    I just wish they didn't put that port so close to the supply port. There is very little room to work with and the air vent is basically touching the the supply pipe. Is there any issues if I put an elbow on the air vent pipe just so I can get some space or does it need to be straight up to provide proper air removal?
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    You can put on 2 45 ells to create an offset, that should give you clearance.
    I would add the ball valve to be able to change the vent without draining.

This gets the air out of the boiler on initial fill, speeding up the process.
    Also would help the other vent.