Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Need a new boiler

Options
davey73
davey73 Member Posts: 9
My old Burnham steam boiler is leaking water. It’s an old beast and needs to be replaced. I have recently had gas installed from the street and want to change over to gas from oil. I’m told that my chimney needs to be lined to accept a gas fired boiler. I’m told it’s very expensive to do. I was also told that they have direct vent steam boilers but I can’t find any. Do they exist? 

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,519
    Options
    No direct vent steam that I know of.

Shouldn't be that expensive to drop a liner down an existing chimney.

But we can't talk $$$$ here on this forum

The first step is the right contractor

Check "find a contractor" on this site and post where you are located. Someone may have a recommendation
    Ironman
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,061
    Options
    You need to call for an inspection and the price for a SS liner.
    It may not be as much as you are expecting.

Side venting involves a power vent and extra controls....more money and also noise.

Do you know what size of boiler you need?
    It is not good to go for the same size you have now. Most boilers are oversized already.
    Your contractor should do a radiator survey to decide the sizing.
    If he just looks at the old nametag and wants to go with that, then you know he may be a hack.

Could you post pictures of your existing boiler piping....floor to ceiling....several sides. Sometimes there can be some improvement in piping to lower fuel consumption.
    Rich_49Ironman
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Options
    Unless you have a problem chimney, or it's deteriorating, a SS line and power venting may be the same price.
    Assuming an old home and stone or large masonry foundation, unless they are utilizing a window for a power venter, might be a lot of work to bore thru.
    If you can do the liner, that's the best way to go.
    Glad you got your gas line in. Gas prices going up, in some places 30%, and usually stays up.
    steve