Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Tech Training software you use

RayWohlfarth
RayWohlfarth Member Posts: 1,459
Just curious if any of you use training software for teaching the techs. If so, what do you use or recommend?
Thanks in advance
Ray
Ray Wohlfarth
Boiler Lessons

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    Sometimes referred to as "hybrid training" ESCO does some of their courses where the instructor is in front of a piece of equipment, and the remote student talks him through the troubleshooting procedure in real time. The student would have two screens showing the instructor on one and a wiring schematic on another, for an example.
    One technology that is being used, the instructor wears a wrist band which sends a signal to a GoPro camera mounted on a rotating tripod which follows the instructor as he moves around the equipment.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,616
    The Steam game looks cute. I wonder what kind of score you get for winging the old compressor into the neighbor's yard!
    Canucker
  • RayWohlfarth
    @hot_rod I wonder if this is going to be the future of learning
    @ratio LOL
    Ray Wohlfarth
    Boiler Lessons
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    I predict in the future trades people will be less inclined to take time off, pack into a tight room, and travel to training events. Air travel right now is a fiasco, canceled and delay flights, lack of aircraft and crews. It's rare to have a flight go as planned :) Not to mention the expense of air travel. Even a day off to attend a local event cost time and $$.

We have had success taking live training events training right to the contractors shop. A breakfast or dinner event with a captive audience, a program tailored to exactly what they need. Attendees are in their comfort zone in their own shop compared to a conference room at a hotel on the interstate.

Online and virtual training proved it value during this Covid age. The technology and platforms get better all the time.
    There will still be a need and desire for face to face, perhaps local association gatherings or a few of the bigger events like AHR, ISH, etc.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • RayWohlfarth
    @hot_rod I think you are right. Airline travel is nuts right now. The cost of taking a day off is getting expensive
    Ray Wohlfarth
    Boiler Lessons
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,691
    edited September 2021
    I recently joined Service Nation Alliance, it seems that they have a vendor that has VR tech training (virtual reality for all you old folks, and I include myself in that group). I’ll be in Louisville next month at there semi annual conference. Gotta check that booth out 
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • RayWohlfarth
    @GW Thanks let me know
    Ray Wohlfarth
    Boiler Lessons
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,691
    so Goodman Amana offers the VR (headset) training and so does Lennox. I tried a VR headset for the first time (not a gamer) at the Goodman booth. It would be extra cool for a brand new guy/gal, but seasoned guys would probably not like it.
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com