Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

my shop slab so far

hot_rod
hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
I used 2" foam 6X6 #6 wire, tube on 6" centers. This gets me down to 110 SWT at design.

In a bind for an un-coiler? I converted my swivel shop stool into an un-coiler for the install :)

Manifold with threaded rod in the strut clamps to pull every tube tight to the next, 1" FostaPex for tube supports.

A Mangone Mesh Clip tool, no longer made :(
Bob "hot rod" Rohr
trainer for Caleffi NA
Living the hydronic dream
STEVEusaPAAlan (California Radiant) ForbesErin Holohan HaskellIronmanZmanPC7060mattmia2GroundUpTinman

Comments

• JeffM
    JeffM Member Posts: 182
    Nicely done, and clever use of on-hand /make-shift "equipment". Glad to see you found the clips you were asking about.
  • GroundUp
    GroundUp Member Posts: 1,889
    edited September 2021
    Looks great! Too bad you have to hide it in the concrete now.... I do have to ask, what is the desired ambient temp in the space that would require such high SWT for a new build? We only keep our shops about 65 ambient, but in a tight new building with R19 walls and R38 ceilings we're getting away with 90-95* SWT at the -30F design temp with 12" spacing. My new shop is R40 all the way around with 10ft celings and it will maintain 65* easily with 83* SWT at design. My mixing valve doesn't go any lower or I'd have tried it out.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    GroundUp said:
    Looks great! Too bad you have to hide it in the concrete now.... I do have to ask, what is the desired ambient temp in the space that would require such high SWT for a new build? We only keep our shops about 65 ambient, but in a tight new building with R19 walls and R38 ceilings we're getting away with 90-95* SWT at the -30F design temp with 12" spacing. My new shop is R40 all the way around with 10ft celings and it will maintain 65* easily with 83* SWT at design. My mixing valve doesn't go any lower or I'd have tried it out.
    That’s the number the load program spit out. Assuming a 10% or more fudge factor in most programs, I believe lower SWT will get the job done
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    For my house I had the advantage of roof trusses to hang my homemade uncoiler,
    it worked better to cut the corners off of the plywood as it uncoiled.
    Also lacking much friction on my swivel hanger it was prone to backlash....handy to have 2 kids to help.

What are the vertical stakes driven? Depth indicators?
    I assume they come out.

Also I mentioned here previously that I used bricks to hold up my 6x6 mesh/rebar,
    someone pointed out that bricks/block in the pour is detrimental to the final result.
    We have ceramic tile on the 6" pour on 4' of fill sand and the only insulation on the perimeter to 4-5' below grade. Quite a heat sink in a sun room. Once heated up will retain temp for days. Probably not the most efficient, but definitely comfortable. Keeps the place warm during any power outage.
    doeber21