Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

ASME and a 150S pump controller

Jason_13
Jason_13 Member Posts: 304
edited August 2021 in THE MAIN WALL
Installing a steam boiler and am going to use a M&M 150S pump controller. We have to create a vertical water column to mount the control.
The ASME code states the pump controller needs to be piped from the top of the header to a return taping or, the top of the end section to the return taping.
The boiler we are using has a taping on the end section at the very top but comes out the side, not vertical. The argument is do they mean vertical out of the top or can it be horizontal at the top of the section?
Does anyone know the code well enough to see if the side outlet at the top of the CI section is OK?

Comments

• JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    edited August 2021
    I will soon find out if it passes my state boiler inspector.

I am using PB 63 series boilers, I used the 1 1/4" skim port with a 1 1/4 x 1 1/4 x 1" tee. The 1" branch points up about 4-5" 90 over about the same and 90 down to the 150. The lower is connected into the return connection.
    The blow down valve is just a few inches above the floor, even with 6" equipment pads.

IIRC, the Book of Dan said to not connect the top into any pipe that passes steam, it needs to be connected into the steam chest. For me, this was the best way to do that.

Note: search "feeder pump control" on the wall and there is other discussion.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    @Jason_13

You need to use crosses instead of elbows on a 150. Brass is better below the water line but not required.

As long as the side tapping is above the water line you should be ok ...in my opinion. It's not the steam connection that gets plugged up it's the water connection.

As an alternate, do you have a safety valve or any tapings on top of the boiler that you could put a cross under the safety valve and connect that way?
  • JUGHNE
    I have to correct my posting above, rather then 90's, I used crosses with plugs for cleanouts. There are 3 crosses at least. This greatly simplifies checking and cleaning all the piping for the 150.
  • retiredguy
    retiredguy Member Posts: 897
    @JUGHNE, have you tried MM test and checks, with that MM150. I have been retired for 13 years, so things may have changed. And for the plugs I used anti-sieze or Teflon tape to ensure ease of plug removal.
  • JUGHNE
    The system I am replacing is still under construction.
    2 boilers with common header, each with 150 and electric solenoid valve.
    1 feeder pump
    I service another system installed 20 years ago with exact same set up.
    All these pumps put out too much water and it will kill the steam head built up.

Putting a bypass on the pump right back into the tank has helped in addition to the balancing cocks on the feed line to each boiler.

In that system, as in this one the boilers, are small CI with maybe only 12 gallons of water to boil.

So the M&M 150S hasn't changed in 20 years, that I can see.

After the first cleaning this year I must remember the anti-seize, although an impact with 8 point socket will loosen them even after 10 years.
    But perhaps with the anti-seize, it would be one less tool to drag in every year.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    Anti seize and teflon tape
    JUGHNE