Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Dead Men Tales: My Father's Way

HeatingHelp
HeatingHelp Administrator Posts: 635
edited June 2021 in THE MAIN WALL

My Father's Way

Ed Holohan came back from the war in the Pacific and went to work in a supply house because they were hiring strong, young men who wanted to work six days a week. In this episode, Dan Holohan shares memories of his father.Listen and subscribe here.

Happy Father's Day!

Thank you to our sponsor SupplyHouse.com.
Henry

Comments

• Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,272
    @DanHolohan Wow, just WOW! You shared a LOT with this story!

Yours, Larry
    PC7060
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    Love the stories. I got to work with my dad for a few years in the supply house and it's a reminder of days of yore.
    jeant
  • dopey27177
    dopey27177 Member Posts: 887
    Hi Dan

That story reminds me of my father. All the points you made are my pop.
    two differences, My dad was always right, even when he was wrong.
    My dad did not go to the mechanic, he fixed the car himself.

My dad passed at 51, when I was in the navy, got special leave to attend the funeral.
    I never cried because dad taught me to keep my pain and grief to myself, be strong for the rest of the family, they need you because I am gone.

Unfortunately for me I still do not show emotion when trouble comes to my family, I just do what needs to be done to carry my family. My breakdown came when my son Neal was killed in a car accident at age 41. Because of my fathers way I grieve silently every day.

In retrospect when I reached age 50 I realized that my father when he was wrong was right 90% of the time, He saw the future and adjusted his beliefs and actions to suit the times.

Thanks Dan, you bring back many memories of my life and I like my dad passed this down to my son and grand children where they put their spin on what I taught them. Thanks to G-d they are very successful today.

My dads teachings made a successful father because my son and his children are loving and successful in their avocations.

Jake
    jeant
  • Illinoisfarmer
    Illinoisfarmer Member Posts: 52
    Whoa. Outstanding. Thank you. Nothing like reading Heating Help at breakfast and having tears in my eyes.
    jeant
  • OuterCapeOilguy
    OuterCapeOilguy Member Posts: 46
    I always look forward to your posts, and never fail to learn from them. This one is the best. Thank you, and Happy Fathers' Day!
    jeant
  • bill_brooks
    bill_brooks Member Posts: 50
    happy father's day dan!

i hope you see many more. they're getting harder to come as we age.

never forget your dad, nor the car with the puzzling affiction!
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,513
    Thanks, guys. Happy Father’s Day to you. Treasure your memories. 
    Retired and loving it.
  • JohnGellatly
    JohnGellatly Member Posts: 10
    Appreciate you using Father's Day to remember your dad, and at the same time, remind us old dogs to be willing to learn new tricks. Sure will, Dan!
  • Hydronicolic
    Hydronicolic Member Posts: 16
    Thanks Dan. I feel like I knew your Dad. Mine had great sayings, "Don't trip over dollars reaching for pennies", yet he'd drive 15 miles to save a quarter on a pound of butter. One of his best sayings and it sticks to this day, "the secret in the selling is in the buying", and "you can't sell out of an empty wagon" both still impress me.
    Happy Father Day, Dan.

Mark Deane
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,513
    I love this. Thanks, Mark. 
    Retired and loving it.