Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Frugal Tools

Options
HeatingHelp
HeatingHelp Administrator Posts: 636
edited May 2021 in THE MAIN WALL
imageFrugal Tools

Who doesn’t like to talk about tools? I asked a bunch of my friends about the tools that live on in sweet memory as frugal tools — tools that were worth the investment. Tools that lasted.

Read the full story here

jeant

Comments

• jeant
    jeant Member Posts: 26
    Options
    I like frugal long lasting well built tools. Green seems to make trash recycle places bigger. I think we are going to run out of room for trash. If its made with quality your not going to throw it out or replace it.
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,291
    Options
    Nice article! Love tools. I have a Skillsaw that I got over forty years ago, new for about forty dollars, which was a lot of money. But I’ve built homes with it and lots of other stuff. Very cost effective! The bearings are not so good now, but I probably shouldn’t have cut so much brick. :p

Yours, Larry
    jeant
  • retiredguy
    retiredguy Member Posts: 904
    Options
    Love the older tools. I still have my "wrist breaking hole shooter". When I could still thread pipe by hand, I made the new guys also learn to thread by hand. You never knew when there would be a power outage and you did not want to waste the day sitting down and waiting for the power to return. Time is money.
    jeant
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,280
    Options
    And it's not just older tools (though I have a number of them... !) -- it's older machinery. On the main place I care for, which is among other things a farm, there are three tractors in constant use. One is modern -- a little backhoe/loader. Invaluable. But the other two? A '51 Ferguson TO-20, still going strong, and a '55 Ferguson 35. Ditto. And four trucks. The two most reliable are the '70 Chevy and the '94 Chevy. The Tundra (my daughter's) looks good (except the paint is peeling) but has no load capacity and the '15 Chevy (my son in law's) is a real nice truck. When the computer isn't blinking some idiot light at you...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Glenn_16
    Glenn_16 Member Posts: 14
    Options
    Every time I spend 15 minutes trying to repack my sawzall, dozens of blades, and wind the cord just perfectly so in that molded plastic case I long for the original metal boxes.
    STEVEusaPA
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,519
    edited July 2021
    Options
    I am retired but am a tool addict. If I go in HD or Lowe's I have to bite my lips to not buy something I don't really need, and I already got rid of a lot of stuff last year when I sold my house.

@retiredguy , I still have a Milwaukee hole shooter, a real drill with a cord on it bought it in 77" and it still works fine
  • HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,441
    Options
    Ed, I was fortunate to get a Milwaukee hole shooter from my father on his death bed. It only cost me $20. Good tool!