Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

PROcrastination

HeatingHelp
HeatingHelp Administrator Posts: 635
edited April 2021 in THE MAIN WALL
imagePROcrastination

We’re only human and most humans like to put off things until they absolutely have to be done. Here’s what some heating professionals have been putting off for tomorrow. Or next month. Or forever.

Read the full story here

Comments

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,419
    Sage advice. Thanks!
  • Rob_40
    Rob_40 Member Posts: 55
    Hard work pays off later, procrastination pays off now.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    That hits home, every bit of it
    ratio
  • JohnGellatly
    JohnGellatly Member Posts: 10
    This is an inspiring list of Holohan lyrics. Thanks so much for writing this!
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,720
    I'm going to wait 'til tomorrow to comment on this.
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
    ColdInRI
  • ColdInRI
    ColdInRI Member Posts: 5
    Procrastination:
    why put off 'till tomorrow, ... what you can postpone indefinitely ?

I procrastinated on replacing my way oversized, inefficient and leaking/cracked boiler for 2 years, then after finally buying a new boiler, again I procrastinated on actually installing it.

And there sat my brand new boiler, indirect, and all sorts of new controls, fittings and venting for close to another year, right through the spring, summer and mild fall, right up until what was probably the coldest and windiest day of the year when the old one finally catastrophically failed, in the middle of the night

Cut to the scene where my wife enthusiastically expresses her displeasure with the current ambient temp while I'm scrambling to wire the circulator with a plug, removing the burner, and firing the boiler with a propane weed torch just to dump some heat into the house before I take a deep breath, cross my fingers and dive in to cutting tubing, nervously passing the point of no return

Several hours later came the extremely anxious flipping of the power switch and..... success ! (had an actual heating contractor out about a week later for reassurance) everything worked out, but it easily could have turned into a major disruption and expensive couple of days

Anyhow, the moral of this story is be careful on what you procrastinate about... i had it all worked out, all kinds of plans for the install, a couple days in the spring or summer, was going to re-route alot of the tubing and place new boiler in a different position than the existing... all sorts of improvements that made sense, but procrastination ruined those plans and forced a quick, just get it in and functioning install.

...btw, my "shiny brand new" (now 3 yrs old) indirect, is still sitting in the box :wink:
    EdTheHeaterMan