Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pilot Light issue

Back2Life
Back2Life Member Posts: 1
edited April 2021 in THE MAIN WALL
This is my first post, hello all.
I have a steam boiler and the pilot light keeps turning off. I changed the thermal coupling twice and I'm still having the same issues.
Anyone know a solution?

Comments

• mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,575
    Is the pilot burner enveloping the tip of the thermocouple? some pictures of the controls would help us figure out what type of gas control chain it has.
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    Three times a charm?
    Can you explain the issues? The pilot does light and stays lit, or it doesn't light at all? 
    What make and model boiler?
  • Back2Life
    Back2Life Member Posts: 1
    mattmia2 said:

Is the pilot burner enveloping the tip of the thermocouple? some pictures of the controls would help us figure out what type of gas control chain it has.

It is enveloping the tip of the thermocouple. Hopefully these photos help
    HVACNUT said:

Three times a charm?
    Can you explain the issues? The pilot does light and stays lit, or it doesn't light at all? 
    What make and model boiler?

The pilot lights and stays lit only when the boiler is actively running. I have to light it every time I want it on.

• mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,575
    So the thermocouple holds the safety valve open when the main burner is firing but not with the pilot burner?
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    Is there a flue damper on the exhaust pipe of the boiler?....it looks like there might be.
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 1,953
    Could be a bad gas valve. Or something causing pilot to blow out. 

• clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,103
    Check where the pilot tube attaches to the pilot light assembly which also holds the thermocouple . Some times when changing the thermocouple one neglects to make sure that the compression nut is tight . It can be a call back and some times some thing even a seasoned vet could miss it’s sure some thing to check and also possibly the orifice . Peace and good luck clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating