Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Hays Electroflo Zone Valves

First time seeing these. Haven't been to the job yet, but they look to be line voltage.

If I had to guess, I'd say 1950's vintage.

8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab

Comments

• EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,713
    edited April 2021
    I have always thought a solenoid valve was a great way to do hydronic zoning. Fast opening and that terrific fast closing feature... when the pipes rattled you knew the heat was definitely off. BANG!

Looks like time to repipe & rewire with new valves. Or maybe you could take the coil to a motor shop to have the solenoid coil rewound. Do they still have motor shops?
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    Google "Hayes Fluid Controls"

Still in business and still making control and solenoid valves
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,572

I have always thought a solenoid valve was a great way to do hydronic zoning. Fast opening and that terrific fast closing feature... when the pipes rattled you knew the heat was definitely off. BANG!

Looks like time to repipe & rewire with new valves. Or maybe you could take the coil to a motor shop to have the solenoid coil rewound. Do they still have motor shops?

There are ways to damp the shaft to solve that problem...
  • More from the same job:

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    @Alan (California Radiant) Forbes

Were you able to fix up those solenoids or find any parts for them?
  • Were you able to fix up those solenoids or find any parts for them?
    It was our first visit to the jobsite this morning. We'll replace those line voltage solenoids with 24 volt zone valves. We will also install a zone valve control, new thermostats, new relief valve, new fill valve and replace the copper natural gas supply line. All of these devices were original equipment and I feel good that with a minimum of effort, we can modernize the controls. However, I feel confident that these new devices will not last as long as what we're removing.

mattmia2