Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boiler radiant piping design okay?

Options
josephny
josephny Member Posts: 270

Have I diagrammed this correctly?

The EZ Manifold has plug on the return and an elbow piped in on the feed (both above the valves) -- not sure what goes in these ports.

But the bigger question is whether I'm finally grasping P/S loops and the nuances of which components go where.

Thank you!

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Unless you have an extremely large house, that boiler will short cycle itself to death and perform poorly while doing it.

I would suggest that you use a properly sized boiler with an indirect water heater. By the time you add a buffer tank to that present configuration, and have to descale the domestic heat exchanger in that combi on a regular basis, you’ll  be worse off than had you done a correctly sized boiler with an indirect.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • Matt_67
    Matt_67 Member Posts: 286
    Options
    That is a combi boiler with minimum fire about 28k - if the manifold can get rid of that much heat short cycling wouldn’t be an issue. It would be good to do the calculations to make sure and if it’s zoned I would be especially diligent about ensuring the load isn’t less then 28k when the smallest zone is calling. I too prefer indirects but the combis have their place. The general order of components in your diagram looks correct.
  • josephny
    Options
    Oh no! I didn't realize the minimum fire was 28kbtu. The floor area in zone 1 (the only zone at this time) is approximately 800 sq-ft. At 22-30 BTU/Sq-ft, that's 17,600 - 24,000btu. I plan to add an additional zone, but it will probably be smaller. Am I going to be in trouble? I already bought all the equipment.
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    Why don't you see if it can be returned? Even if you have to pay a restocking fee, you'll be better off with a properly sized boiler and indirect.

If not, you're gonna need a buffer tank.

Is the floor a slab or staple up?
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • josephny
    Options
    Staple up.

Thank you.