Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

3 major Qs,Sub Qs, Gorton 2 main vents,paint joints,thermostatic valves. + bonus Q

Options
LS123
LS123 Member Posts: 466
hello friends,

Q1) I am not sure how far the gorton 2 should be installed on supply main. I had to take part of the basement sheet rocks out so it would fit where tiny vent rite #75 ( i think) .... (pic 1 below)
Q1 - A) right now gorton 2 is connected to about 4 inch long 1/4 diameter steel or galv pipe. Can I use about 1 inch male (both sides) brass connection (pic 2 below)

Q2) I have insulated the main supply lines, intend to also insulate return lines... I notice there are rust on some joints on main supply pipes. Can I use a metal brush to scrape the rust and high heat spay paint?
Q2-A) Would this (painting) cause problems in the future because paint seems to make it difficult to remove connections?

Q3) I have a really, really old thermostatic valve attached to the burner, the filter.... I bought two new once... I read that gold color once have a higher temp for fusing (shut oil / cut oil to the burner) than silver color once? New once are formatic (gold color), which one should I use silver or gold color, I prefer have the that trip at lower temps.

last Q..
So I understand it may be a good thing that my steam boiler never reach the 1.5 PSI cut off , it runs on about 1/4 or less and 1/2 pound of pressure... there is no short cycles... it runs, with in about 25 mins its ready to push steam to the radiators... runs about 40 mins... to meet the Tstat... sometimes less, if the house is 1 F less than Tstat setting... so q is ... this is normal and working as designed? right>

Thank you all!

Pic 1

pic 2 --- one short 1/4 inch male both side, one 3 or 4 inch male for Gorton 2s

Thank you!
@LS123

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,322
    Options
    Q1 -- I don't see anything amiss with where that Gorton is mounted. What is it you want to do that is different?

Q2 -- you can scrape or brush the rust off and paint -- it won't make it that much harder to undo the joints later, if you have to. But I'm curious: do you really need to insulate the returns? They shouldn't be getting much more than warm, and it would be a lot of work for not much return.

Q3 -- not in my field of expertise!

Last Q -- sounds to me as though your system is working just as it should.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    LS123
  • LS123
    Options
    @Jamie Hall

In regards to Q1) I would like to use a shorter male nipple connecting to the gorton 2, so I can put the sheet rocks back on the ceiling... shorter nipple would be an inch total on one of the main supply line, instead of 3 or 4 inches now. is it ok to have a shorter male nipple for gorton 2?

In regards to Q2) insulating return lines... no I do not have to, thought the having insulated return lines improve overall long term fuel efficiency --> concluded with decision not to install return lines.

In regards to Q3) np... i will keep things as they are, when ready and its warmer out side I will have a certified tech from this site come over ( I already have selected one who specialize on steam)

In regards to Q4) good news and musics to my ears!! ( So I dont have to damage something that dont need to be damaged or modified.... :) ) ---> concluded with high confidence dont mess up things thats working well... keep things as they are on Q 4....

As always appreciate your feedback and thank you again @Jamie Hall !

Best LS123
    Thank you!
    @LS123
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,322
    Options
    On Q1 -- the shorter nipple should be OK. The Gorton #2 is a bit of an odd beast. As many have noted (with curiousity!) it has a smaller diameter fitting than many others -- which is entirely adequate for the venting rate it has -- which I think is quite intentional, as it helps a lot in keeping odd splashes and splooks out. You're far enough from the end of the main there that it should be well protected from overenthusiastic condesnate.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    LS123
  • LS123
    Options
    thank u @Jamie Hall !! :)
    Thank you!
    @LS123