Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

HELP - WILL THIS WORK? - IT IS!!!

Darek_NYC
Darek_NYC Member Posts: 14
I want to help everybody for help with my project. I will be happy to share with others my experience with it. It works and surprisingly well.
It started with the schematic drawing:

Because of existing drainpipes close to the wall and confined space, I did some 3D planning in Skechup:

And after two weeks I got this:

I hooked it up over a month ago and have no issues. The basement and the first floor have 3 loops on ONE zone of the radiant floor—the basement in the concrete floor and the first floor between the floor joist installed from below. The second floor has ONE zone of the hot water radiators in three bedrooms plus a bathroom towel dryer. I put the separate radiant floor in the bathroom (the single pipe loop on the very right on the picture). As you see, I used Bluefin manifolds “upside-down” and do not see any problems with flow regulation (as of now 😊).
I made the boiler manifold, which saved me serious bucks (cost me about $70 in parts plus my labor). As for radiators, I used the old steam ones (I flushed them well), replacing the vents, and used one side water connection with an adapting valve from Danfoss. A lot of labor, but I am happy with the outcome. I did not finish my basement yet and send you a picture when done.

Thank you once again!

Comments

• heathead
    heathead Member Posts: 234
    Easy one to spot is the two alpha pumps have the wrong orientation. The two Pumps on the left can't face the direction needs to be horizontal, not upright.
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    Nice work on the piping.

One small issue is that the pumps on the left should not be facing shaft up, but shaft horizontal as mentioned.

One major issue is that your electric panel does not have the required 30" wide minimum clearance required by code.

What size is the boiler?
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    You may want to support the near-boiler piping with either uni-strut or other hangers.
  • Darek_NYC
    Darek_NYC Member Posts: 14
    Thank you, guys. Good catch. I will rotate the pumps. I got the rotating flanges from Webston.
    I will consider moving the electric panel to the other side of the wall (it is so close). The boiler is Noritz CB180DV-NG Direct Vent 100000 BTU.