Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Heat Loss

josephny
josephny Member Posts: 270
I wonder if the information on the attached graph is enough to determine how poorly insulated my 2 story house is (electric panel heat in most rooms; 1 ecobee on the first floor, another on the 2nd floor, each controlling all the electric heaters on each floor respectively):

Thank you.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,161
    No, sorry. Without knowing anything about the actual electrical usage (kilowatt-hours), it's no help at all.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • josephny

No, sorry. Without knowing anything about the actual electrical usage (kilowatt-hours), it's no help at all.

Does this help:

ethicalpaul
  • Jamie Hall
    Um... it would, if I could believe it. Where are you located? 4 KWh -- which is your steady consumption except for the two odd glitches -- is only 14,000 BTU for a day. Or to look at it another way, only 2 75 watt bulbs left on all day... something is wrong.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,366
    You would need a lot more than just a snapshot of one or two days. The whole heating season compared to the actual degree days would give a fair estimate, but you'd have to subtract out the electric useage for everything else in the house.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • josephny
    Okay, I’m slowly getting it. 

So, the 1st floor has used 15,531kwh (about 1200 kWh/day) in January so far.   I would say 95% of that is for heat (lights are led, no dishwasher, etc.). 

I’m in zip code 12763.  I think my ave degree days in that time period is around 34.  

• Gman66
    Gman66 Member Posts: 42

Um... it would, if I could believe it. Where are you located? 4 KWh -- which is your steady consumption except for the two odd glitches -- is only 14,000 BTU for a day. Or to look at it another way, only 2 75 watt bulbs left on all day... something is wrong.

Brother J; might the chart suggest that the energy consumption is 4KWH per hour, such that the BTU consumption would be 14K BTU per hour? If so, that sounds like a more credible number. Still a long way from answering how good or bad the insulation is, but getting closer.
  • josephny
    Gman66 said:

Brother J; might the chart suggest that the energy consumption is 4KWH per hour, such that the BTU consumption would be 14K BTU per hour? If so, that sounds like a more credible number. Still a long way from answering how good or bad the insulation is, but getting closer.
    My Good Gman66: Yes indeed, I believe you are right. Electric usage averages just over 4KWH/hr, or about 110KWH/day (375,000 BTU/Ht).
    ethicalpaul
  • Jamie Hall
    Now it's making more sense. 375,000 BTU per day, or about 15,000BTUh for your heat loss. Which is actually pretty decent. As @Gman66 said, doesn't tell you much yet about your insulation, since we don't know the dimensions of the structure nor the actual temperature for that particular heat load, but getting there.
    Br. Jamie, osb
  • josephny

Now it's making more sense. 375,000 BTU per day, or about 15,000BTUh for your heat loss. Which is actually pretty decent. As @Gman66 said, doesn't tell you much yet about your insulation, since we don't know the dimensions of the structure nor the actual temperature for that particular heat load, but getting there.

Yay, progress!

So the 15kBtuH is for the 1st floor.

The second floor uses about the same amount of electricity.

I keep the temp at 70*f.

The 1st floor is approximately 1800 sq-ft. The second floor is approx 850 sq-ft.
  • Jamie Hall
    And that usage was on a day when the average temperature outside was around 40? Giving about 32 degree days, which you quoted?

There are still a lot of loose ends to be able to really answer you question, which I recall as being basically how good is my insulation? but just based on that -- I'd venture a guess as somewhere in the pretty good -- not great, not bad -- range.
    Br. Jamie, osb
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,695
    Jamie Hall said:

Does this help:

It made me laugh...you asked for it, you got it @Jamie Hall -- That will teach you :smile:
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
  • josephny

Jamie Hall said:

Does this help:

It made me laugh...you asked for it, you got it @Jamie Hall -- That will teach you :smile:
    I think that's a shot at me, which is totally fine, but I do wish I understood....

Is it because I provided data that was either incomprehensible, useless, or yielded more questions than it answered?

(;-)

• Jamie Hall
    No, not really, @josephny . @ethicalpaul and I like to poke at each other, and I have a bit of a reputation at taking minimal data and playing with it...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    josephny
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,366
    The HDDs for your locale is 6031 for the year.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.