Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boiler venting

STEAM DOCTOR
STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 1,951
I am assuming this is ok. After all,  the installation manual does not prohibit this piping configuration. For the sake of accuracy, these comments are in jest.  Picture was sent to me by a colleague. 
Solid_Fuel_Man

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,162
    That doesn't even make sense... some of the DWV piping is pretty creative, too, if you really look at it.

Unless I am sadly mistaken, that pit is a sewage ejector (which isn't tied into the rest of the DWV correctly, by the way -- so why does the boiler go there?

I need some coffee...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • archibald tuttle
    archibald tuttle Member Posts: 1,085
    brilliant, condense any further moisture in the exhaust and keep any waste heat indoors.
    ethicalpaul
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    So how well does it work? Does it ever smell bad?
    That might be a simple sump pump for drain tile?
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 1,951
    The boiler piping is connected to where the pit vent piping connection point. I guess he thought that the boiler needs a vent and the sewer/sump pit needs a vent. Why not just combine the vents🤣😂. No idea how it works. I got the picture from a colleague who got it from his colleague who's there for something else.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    Maybe it's the air intake LOL
    ethicalpaul
  • Jellis
    Jellis Member Posts: 228
    He is obviously using the Methane produced from the Sump pit for more combustible combustion air.... Duhhhh
    Solid_Fuel_Man
  • JUGHNE
    There was a new house built in the country. Those always had a septic tank that could not buried deep enough to allow drains under the basement floor. So sewage lift pumps were installed for the basement bath etc.
    The new HO insisted he needed only one pit and pump...why have two when one could do the entire job?
    So he was accommodated by bringing the drain tile that surrounded the entire footing into the same pit that had the DWV sewage dump into.

After a couple of years the basement was smelling really bad. It wasn't just sewer gas from the basement WC. The installed pump had never worked...never ran.
    So sewage filled the pit and then it back-flowed out into the drain tile, filling it and then draining out into the gravel pack around the perforated flex drain tile outside the basement footings.

I was never there, don't know how it was resolved....but the cost of a cheap sump pit and sump pump was saved years earlier.
    mattmia2Solid_Fuel_Man
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,162
    Good grief. I thought I'd seen some catastrophes...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • JUGHNE
    It would be hard to make that story up, wouldn't it?
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,572
    I think that is a sump pump going maybe legally, maybe illegally in to a combined sewer.
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,713
    edited January 2021
    I would have put the circulator pumps on the supply side, Pumping Away from the expansion tank... But at least he is properly filtering the condensate from the boiler vent.

Yes, I said HE... Think about it... Would a female technician make this mistake?

Got to go now... Need to pick up a bucket of Steam for my Furnace.
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics