Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Metal flakes in gas lines...

Options
tri4autism
tri4autism Member, Email Confirmation Posts: 1
edited January 2021 in THE MAIN WALL
I recently had a new heating and air conditioning system installed. As cold weather rolled in the burners would not fire properly on the new furnace. It would light one or two which would put it into a fault mode... aka not heat.

After the second visit the tech pulled the gas line apart and found a bunch of metal flakes in it... they said it was 'paint' from the gas company but I'm wondering if this is something from the lines.

They blew the line out AND its working but I wonder what these mystery flakes are. Also I'd like to address it as the line isn't terrible long but does go to my stove, furnace and water heater.

Comments

• JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    Options
    What kind of piping.....black, galvanized or copper?
    Propane or natural gas?
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,852
    edited January 2021
    Options
    What is the age of the gas line you are referring to? Are they the same age as the furnace? Or are the lines existing and only the furnace gas line was reconnected to the existing gas piping?

If all the gas lines in the home are older existing pipes and the only appliance with a problem is the new furnace, I would suspect the new connector piping was the source of the metal flakes. Metal flakes in a gas pipe is never a good sign. Especially if the flakes were found on the burner side of the automatic gas control valve and the inlet pipe also. This means the metal flakes went through the valve and could be lingering there on the mating surfaces of the valve closing mechanism. That valve should be inspected for signs of any leftover metal flake.

Need those answers from above to be sure of your situation.

Yours Truly
    Mr.Ed

Edward Young Retired

After you make that expensive repair and you still have the same problem, What will you check next?