Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Fast and lucky sawzall cutting

GW
GW Member Posts: 4,691
I don’t do this everyday so I rejoiced at the fact I didn’t lunch the rad. “Old pic” is a different rad but same basic thing 
Gary Wilson
Wilson Services, Inc
Northampton, MA
gary@wilsonph.com
PC7060Erin Holohan HaskellIronmanSolid_Fuel_Mankcoppluketheplumber

Comments

• EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,713
    Your not as think as you dumb I am! Nicely done!
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
    Solid_Fuel_Man
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,162
    @GW , that's called "skill". Nice job.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • SteamingatMohawk
    SteamingatMohawk Member Posts: 997
    Been there, done that, but cut into the threads a bit. It pays to be extra careful, even though steam pressure is very low.

Great job.
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,695
    If you had gotten into it, it was just the bushing...you had one more chance not to mess it up :)
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
    GW
  • GW
    Thanks! this was a hw boiler job. wrapping up the new boiler today
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    That was good, the smaller 3/4" ones are tougher than larger ones.
    Are you going to change all the air bleeders on the old rads?
    kcopp
  • GW
    Bleeding air, that was a bit of a funky situation. There was about 14 rides, most of them, the coin vents were perfect. Several of them, very strange.

One was dripping, making a mess, one of my guys alerted me to the fact rain was coming into the basement. I grab a new coin, go up to change it. Opened up the old bleeder, pressure is at zero. I spin the old vent off and all of a sudden I get a blast of water. I spin the new one on, my hairdo got a little wet.

More oddly, another rad won’t bleed any air. Like the screw is out but zilch. I eventually go to the boiler and jack it to 25. To back up and all of a sudden it’s bleeding. Not fast, like 50% or so. Eventually fills up and heat is flowing 

It’s an old two pipe conversation, old trap bodies in place. 

I’m wondering if the bleeder taps just got goopy; I’ve never seen venting issues 
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • SteamingatMohawk
    Oops, showed my inattention to detail...
  • GW
    That’s cool not sure how you could tell either way. This was once a steam system. But yes I am a little more relaxed when busting into steam rads 
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    Good job!
    The smaller the pipe the tougher it gets. Sometimes you have to make more than 1 cut to get them out
    GW
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    Whoops! you did make two cuts
    GW
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    edited January 2021
    The way you did it is the almost last resort for us. We cut the union nut off and then use a pipe wrench directly on the spud. If that fails, then we do what you did.

Nice job on getting it out clean.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    STEAM DOCTORGW
  • SteamingatMohawk
    Two oopses. In the first photo, when I saw the pipe at the top, I assumed it was steam without knowing why. I'm only familiar with my one pipe steam system.

That being said, I just bought "The Lost Art of Steam Heating, Revised" and on pages 212 and 214 it shows the steam supply at the top and return at the bottom. So, my guess was correct, but I could not prove it, if asked, since I never paid attention to 2 pipe details.

• WMno57
    WMno57 Member Posts: 1,249
    Do the old steam radiators in this system have a water passage across the top?
    I DIY.
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    Just came from a house where 2 elderly sisters live.
    Saved everything from their lifetime.....but on the positive side they never had cats!
    There are about 12 BB heaters with screw slot bleeders in the 90 ells. 2 of them would pass no air or water.
    I would guess plugged ports. Hoping for the best of water flow.

No floor drain, no isolation valves, feeder stuck, water supply is shut off, (both have been such for years before I first saw the place) boiler drain will probably not open, 2 zone valves.....however the pressure relief valve is tested and reseats nicely.
    When it gets low on water it will not heat the BB's, phone call is made.
    GW
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 1,951
    Ironman said:
    The way you did it is the almost last resort for us. We cut the union nut off and then use a pipe wrench directly on the spud. If that fails, then we do what you did.

Nice job on getting it out clean.
    First resort for me. Quick and almost risk free. Slow and steady wins the race. Like everything else, need to work with what you feel comfortable. 
    Alan WelchethicalpaulGW
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    I agree with @Ironman cut the union and get a wrench on it and jam something into the stub so as to not collapse it. They will usually come out.

But sometimes you have to cut
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,022
    And with a Leatherman? I'm impressed :)
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    GW
  • STEAM DOCTOR
    STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 1,951
    Fwiw, I use the Milwaukee 18v Hackzall. 
  • GW
    WMno57 said:
    Do the old steam radiators in this system have a water passage across the top?
    Yes it kinda has to be that way with hot water. This seems to be a 1930s era house.
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • GW
    Bob yes believe me I tried. I don’t enjoy sticking sawzall blades inside of Radiators  either.
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • GW
    232,000 BTU down to 125,000. Prolly could have went to the 94000 btu but there’s just so much metal. Even this boiler was climbing pretty slowly yesterday when I had all three  zones going, wasn’t even very cold outside or in the house. Main zone is Constant circulation and the other 2 zones simply spin water on regular stat calls 

Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
    TinmanPC7060Le John
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    Nice Job
    GW
  • luketheplumber
    luketheplumber Member Posts: 149
    I practiced this on a two pipe radiator that I salvaged. it was a lot easier to collapse the 3/4 inch nipple that I ever thought. I used a file instead of any power tools and barley nicked the threads. So far I feel pretty good for not cracking the old Radiator on either end.
    I just earned my GED and am looking for a apprenticeship with one of these steam gurus on this site!
    PC7060Zman
  • GW
    Wow you filed your way through a brass nip? I guess that works too. When you’re hauling freight it’s just faster to do the 60 Hz shuffle though. Keep at it 
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
    luketheplumber
  • Le John
    Le John Member Posts: 226
    Very nice job. 
    GWluketheplumber
  • Way to go!

I get spooked on those relief cuts and invariably, I score the female threads. A anaerobic pipe sealant (Hernon Dripstop 923 or SuperDope) will seal any potential leaks.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
    luketheplumberGW
  • luketheplumber
    luketheplumber Member Posts: 149
    I wanted to take it slowly with my first one. I'm sure I made the dead men smile when I did all that by hand. I didn't want crack the radiator so that's good. I have another one that I might try doing with power tools next time.
    I just earned my GED and am looking for a apprenticeship with one of these steam gurus on this site!
    GW
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    @GW did someone already have press copper on that indirect? Nice touch with the flue labels. 
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
  • GW
    Hi Solid we did the boiler and water heater so all that stuff is new. The old 'return header'---I 'repurposed" that, so i kinda aligned the new boiler with the old header (the header was raised up some, but in the same location). We we literally jockeying the new boiler a little front and rear, left and right to nail it. You can tell the old header isn't 'as new', and there's an 1 1/2" x 1 1/4" 90 going into the boiler. Return ball valves and the drains are new, but the c x f tees are original.
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
    Solid_Fuel_Man