Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Does this all look right for a minisplit condenser installation? See photos

bipbap
bipbap Member Posts: 191
edited December 2020 in THE MAIN WALL
So we had minisplits installed and my contractor pointed out various mistakes the installer made as the project went along (hvac guy was not managed by contractor).

The installer just put in the condensers on the roof and I wanted to run this all by some hvac pros.

He put a cover around most of the refrigerant lines but he couldn’t cover all the turns and about a 5’ stretch where those lines run behind the condensers- is that ok or will this cause an issue with them being exposed to the outside?

Anything else look out of place?

Thanks for your advice

Comments

• ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,616
    Missing a weatherproof booboo plug in the KO beside the power entrance. The EMT coupling that I can see doesn't seem to be WP (they're supposed to be colored), but it is compression & that was good enough for many decades. The linehide is about typical for that kind of work—it's a trade-off between getting things spaced out & drilling lots of holes in your building.

I give it a score of 'average'. It could've been a lot worse; & all in all I'd expect the cost to double to make it pretty.

mikeapolis Solid_Fuel_Man
  • bipbap
    bipbap Member Posts: 191
    edited December 2020
    Yeah definitely not concerned about pretty, just function.

And is it ok to have so much refrigerant line not protected in linehide from the rain/sun/snow etc?
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    Line set covers are optional, not required.

The things that should concern you are:
    1. Was the system properly sized by doing a load calc?
    2. Was the system properly installed from a technical standpoint, meaning refrigerant line connections were properly done and leak tested; system was purged and evacuated to 500 microns; the proper amount of additional refrigerant was calculated and weighed in, etc.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    Tinman
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    Maybe its ok can't tell from the pictures but is the airflow through the condensers partially blocked by the paripit wall??

Also in some locations the is a minimum distance equipment has to be from the edge of a roof.

Can't have service technicians falling over the edge LOL
    Solid_Fuel_Man
  • AMservices
    AMservices Member Posts: 610
    The units are hanging on wall brackets, not sitting on the roof. 
    The black insulation on the piping is UV rated to be exposed outside. 
    The liquid tight covering on the wiring has a metallic liner and doesn't look pretty but is perfectly acceptable in this application. And the elbow into the unit is a weather proof connector made for this type of conduit. 
    The difficulty and the added cost of having the piping covered all the way around the roof edge out weights the benefits to do so. 

Function before Form. As long as the installer charged the refrigerant lines properly the installation looks good. 

I think your contractor should stick to hammering nails.
    G.C. probably upset you didn't use his HVAC contractor because he couldn't add to there price.

IronmanTinman
  • PC7060
    PC7060 Member Posts: 1,155
    G.C. probably upset you didn't use his HVAC contractor because he couldn't add to there price.

Lol. Exactly what I thought. 
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,776
    Thankyou Mr Sparky
    Now I have to hang my A$$ over the roof to get to the outlet!

Mitsubishi wouldn't approve of the line sets blocking air flow!
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,616
    The coupling I was referring to is in the feed to the recept. (under the linehide), & possibly the transition connector from EMT to Sealtite; but again those kinds were perfectly fine for that application for many years & it's still possible that it's a gasketed style that I'm unfamiliar with.
    My570
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    @pecmsg. At least there is a service receptial..... I know I get real tired of running my extension cord(s) all over to run the recovery machine and vacuum pump. 

But we ALL know how long that GFCI will actually last up there on the roof with the nice pretty plastic in-use cover on it. 

Metal is the only thing which the sun and heat wont degrade with a few years. 
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!