Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Weil mclain not reaching supply temp

staylor1290
staylor1290 Member Posts: 13
edited December 2020 in THE MAIN WALL
Hi, I’m hoping someone can help me, I’m mrs here. I have an Weil McLain ultra 105 boiler. It was put in, in 2008 and we bought our house in 2014. Last year and now this year we are having issues with it heating correctly. Every once in a while I’ll notice out thermostat says it’s 70 or lower in the house and I have it set at 72. I notice that the target temp is 170ish and supply is around 90 and sometimes doesn’t actually start heating up for awhile or at all. I called someone out a few days ago and got charged $ and said it was fixed and it clearly isn’t. I did maintenance on it myself a few days ago and it was GROSS inside so I was hoping that was the issue but, I guess not :( if anyone has any tips or ideas for what the issue could be I would greatly appreciate it as I can’t afford a new boiler or to keep calling and having them come out and it not be fixed or only be fixed for a few days and go back to this issue. Please help 😭

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,159
    Obvious (?) question: when the thermostat is calling for heat is the boiler actually firing? The problem is most likely not the boiler itself, but somewhere in the controls.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    staylor1290
  • staylor1290
    What do you mean firing? The igniter is lit if that’s what you’re asking
  • staylor1290
    No question is obvious to me lol I know nothing about these things and hate it honestly
    rabbitsfoot
  • staylor1290
    actually, it seems like it lights, and then goes and and relights a minute or 2 later
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    edited December 2020
    When the thermostat reads lower than it's setpoint, the boiler should fire. The pipes near the boiler and the ones in the room should start getting hot. Are any of these things happening? You can do some basic troubleshooting on your own. Just touch the pipes and read the gauges.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • staylor1290
    Yes they are all getting warm, but supply temp is still staying at 92-93 and return is at 91 and target 172
  • Zman
    Are there any error messages on the boiler? Is this baseboard heat?
    Albert Einstein
  • staylor1290
    No error messages and no not baseboard, we have radiators in all rooms
  • staylor1290
    Radiators were warmish, but now they’re not warm at all
  • staylor1290
    I unfortunately don’t know a lot about these things and have tried troubleshooting but don’t really know what I’m doing and google isn’t much help either :( I just know my house is gonna get cold tonight and I have 2 small kids so was hoping to figure out something :(
  • Zman
    Maybe posting some pictures would help. Is there a pressure or temp gauge on the system. What do they read? Are there unusual noises? It sounds like a circulation issue.
    Albert Einstein
    kcopp
  • staylor1290
    I wasn’t sure if pictures were allowed, trying to get my 3yo to sleep but as soon as I’m done I will go take pictures of it
  • staylor1290

No unusual noises, sounds like it normally does
  • staylor1290

• staylor1290

And it goes from prepurge, to ignite to radiator2 for status and then just does that over and over
  • Zman
    If you turn the power off for a few minutes and then back on does anything change?
    Albert Einstein
  • staylor1290
    No, I tried that a little while ago, was thinking of trying again since my house is getting colder and what can it hurt 🤷‍♀️🤦‍♀️
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,159
    Even more i think that you have a problem in the controls -- not in the boiler itself or in the circulation.

Unhappily -- for you -- this is not likely to be something which can be fixed even by a really well-versed homeowner, unlike simpler systems. You may have to find a competent tech. (which may be hard to do) to come out and figure out what is keeping the boiler from staying firing.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Zman
    I agree with Jamie. It is surprising that it is not throwing an error code. Must be a WM thing...
    Albert Einstein
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,803
    edited December 2020
    Can you post a pic from farther back showing the connected piping?
    Those 90° readings are (should  be) from the secondary manifolds. Can you tell if the zone circulator is running?

And you did the maintenance yourself? Did you have the maintenance kit from WM? Do you have a combustion analyzer?
    kcopp