Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

2 systems to 1 thermostat?

mebs518
mebs518 Member Posts: 2
I have an oil boiler and  electric heat pump and A/C. When installed, the contractor said 2 thermostats were needed about 12 years ago. With today's tech, is it possible to run both systems by 1 thermostat? I mainly use the heat pump and A/C from March to October (above 40*) and boiler on coldest months of the winter. 

Comments

• pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,775
    It was possible 12 years ago as well.

Is there hot water coils on the duct work or does the boiler just heat water for radiators and or baseboard?
    STEVEusaPA
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,691
    Without seeing your wiring- Basic Heat Pump or Dual Fuel thermostat would do. You probably need a technician to wire it, not extra simple. Gotta separate the “R” wires on the stat wiring. If you want a weather based switching function that’s possible too (dual fuel). I like the Ecobee 
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • mebs518
    mebs518 Member Posts: 2
    pecmsg- boiler heats baseboard and 1 radiator. A year later, we added electric heat pump for only main floor, not the basement. Tech said he didn't think it would work with the thermostat wired as Emergency heat. And only 1 heat and 1 a/c option on thermostat. 
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,775
    There are any # of controls that will operate both systems off 1 control.

It would be best to talk with a contractor that can see exactly what you have and what you want to decide.
  • Sounds like an old Beach Boys song-(in reverse)!—NBC