Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

CSD-1 questions

Gasper
Gasper Member Posts: 148
edited November 2020 in THE MAIN WALL
Does anyone know where I can find some in depth instructions on how to install and wire CSD-1 controls for a steam boiler? The manual that came with the boiler and controls is rather vague.

Comments

• Gasper
    I'm installing a Utica JE 600, and a little unclear on wiring, and/placement, of the two LWOC's. Does anyone know how to wire so the probe, with manual reset, is the secondary LWOC? Or is it as simple as installing at a lower level then the MM 67 LWOC? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated? Thanks.
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,725
    basically you need to add a manual reset limit  LWCO and the pressure control.  So you will have 2 of each.  
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • Gasper
    Thank you for the response. Boiler came with MM67, and Safeguard manual reset probe LWCO. But we can't figure out how to make the MM67 the "boss". Do you know if there is a way to wire so that the 67 controls the auto feeder (Hydrolevel 24V VXT) VS the probe LWOC? Also should we install the Safeguard probe below the 67, so homeowner doesn't have to constantly reset the manual reset probe?
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    Safeguard manual reset must be placed lower than the MM67. only by an inch or less. there should be a tapping for it in the front of the boiler. Now the 67 will operate first.

If the boiler has line-voltage gas valve or oil burner the wiring is like this

If you have a 24 volt control or gas valve the wiring is like this

OR This

Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
    Tinman
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    or you could try the instructions sheet

but you may need to read the instruction sheet to determine if this is the correct diagram. Are you using a condensate return pump or a condensate feed pump, or no pump at all.

Gasper
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    Gasper said:

I'm installing a Utica JE 600, and a little unclear on wiring, and/placement, of the two LWOC's. Does anyone know how to wire so the probe, with manual reset, is the secondary LWOC? Or is it as simple as installing at a lower level then the MM 67 LWOC? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated? Thanks.

Yes it is just that simple!
  • Gasper
    Thanks gentlemen!
  • Gasper
    Actually it's a Utica JE600. There is an open 1/2" tapping. But the probe is 3/4". So probably not the best idea to nipple out into a 3/4" reducer? Was thinking I should pipe out of the upper and lower 1" tapping's with crosses, and install a tee for the probe?
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    edited November 2020
    I can't be sure how this will actually work out but it appears that tapping G on the I/O manual is for the probe type LWCO and tapping B (there should be 2) is where the Primary #67 LWCO should go with the gauge glass. If these openings are properly spaced the #67 should be higher than the Safeguard.

If this is not the case then you will need to get an accessory like MM 150 LWCO
    https://s3.amazonaws.com/s3.supplyhouse.com/manuals/1350818300823/83737_PROD_FILE.pdf
    I'm thinking that #67 LWCO is not really a commercial control. more of a residential product. You should return that control in place of a 150 or something like that.

Is there anything on the old system that pumps the condensation back into the boiler? OR. Is it all gravity returns?
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    I getting the feeling that you do not have an abundance of experience with steam boilers. The near boiler piping is critical in the smooth operation of the system. You may want to look at some of the information available on this site before you attempt to engineer/design this project. Look at this video, it has some basic info you should have in your onboard library of knowledge. (the one located just behind your forehead/between your ears)
    https://forum.heatinghelp.com/discussion/181640/new-video-how-to-make-steam-heating-more-efficient-webinar#latest

I'm surprised that @Steamhead @STEAM DOCTOR @JohnNY @Jamie Hall and others have not chimed in on this post yet.
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,226
    I getting the feeling that you do not have an abundance of experience with steam boilers...
    I'm surprised that @Steamhead @STEAM DOCTOR @JohnNY @Jamie Hall and others have not chimed in on this post yet.
    There are certain things I’ll never comment on. This is one of them: Someone completely in the weeds about how to install their own fuel-burning equipment looking for advice on how to wire in a safety device.
    I’m sorry. All due respect. But “LWOC”? This guy has to call someone who knows what they’re doing.  

Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
    EdTheHeaterManJUGHNE
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    An emergency switch or circuit breaker is also required just outside the boiler room. 
    Steve Minnich
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    @Gasper

CSD-1 control systems fall under the ASME boiler code. You can google it and find their requirements.

That being said if CSD-1 is required the boiler and burner should have been ordered with the correct controls.

I would contact Utica directly or through your wholesaler for the best answers
    Tinman
  • Gasper
    Ouch Johnee!! Even our leader has typos with his tweets. LotsO experience here. We havn't (another typo john) installed CSD-1 in a while....sorry for asking. But yea installed manual reset probe lowc (for John) in tee, between 1" crosses (supplier charged $6.66 for a 1" Cross....true story). Boiler, with CSD-1, from a local supplier (Behler Young), packaged with MM67, and Safeguard lwOc, with M reset. Thanks guys.....even you Here's....Johnefrom ny!
  • Gasper
    Ed, It's gravity. An old Webster 2 pipe system. Actually we used the G tapping for the probe LWOC. Found it too close to the 67. It actually shut boiler off (as it should). However a small commercial boiler in a large residence can be an issue if homeowner won't pay enough attention to the "power plant". Why the ship a 67...I don't know?
  • Gasper
    So we lowered the probe.....works like a champ. You are correct Ed, it's just that simple! Been doing too many small package boilers, need to sharpen up and go after the big boys. And yes I can pipe a steamer in my sleep (can you say drop header?). Fitting the skin on a J series, well that's a challenge! As you know "tech support" not always best support. And I find CSD-1 install manual lacking, at best. Also thanks Steve and EB.
    Back to the mechanical room......eerrrrr weeds....I go!