Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Minisplit wiring coming up short- is that a problem?

bipbap
bipbap Member Posts: 191
Just had a new minisplit system installed and there are two outdoor condensers on roof.

The refrigerant lines made it to one condenser with no problem, but they will not reach the location for the other one.
It seems like a mistake since much longer runs made it there and the ones that didn’t make it aren’t especially far from the condenser. See photo.

Is that poor install? Should he run new lines?
Can they join two lines or will that cause issues down the road with leaks?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    Are you talking wiring or copper tubing?
  • bipbap
    edited November 2020
    Copper.
    the other condenser is supposed to be hung to the right of the one in photo and the sets of copper lines will not reach that far.
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,775
    How is the contractor going to extend the line set? There relatively cheap so just get the right size!
  • JUGHNE
    I have put in quite a few minisplits.
    I have always extended lines by 15% silver brazing while flowing dry nitrogen while torching.
    Then pressure testing the lineset before evacuation with vacuum pump.
    The only flare connections I have is at the unit.
  • bipbap
    Ok so did he screw up or is this not really an issue?
  • pecmsg
    Im not saying the lines cant be extended but if he cant get the length correct can he extend them properly.
    Contact Mitsubishi and let them answer your question. There very good.
  • JUGHNE
    I would not consider it a screw up.
    I never get linesets for mini's. I build them up as needed and then insulate them in the field.
    Usually you want continuous runs, but sometimes not possible.
    I will use up short pieces rather than scrap them. Especially in 3/4" regular AC lines.
    Although I do not bury a splice in wall or ceiling and will mark the location somehow as it is under insulation.
  • pecmsg
    I'm not saying you and I couldn't extend that set, I'm asking if the contractor can?

I avoid brazing mini line sets as much as possible but sometimes we have to do what we have to do!

Now with that said
    Zoom Lock
    Refrigeration Shark Bite

No Way

Let the factory tell the homeowner what "They" want.
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,615
    It's hard to tell in this particular instance, but as a general rule the copper lines can be extended with zero impact on performance or aesthetics (assuming, of course, that normal best practices are followed), up to a certain maximum determined by the mfgr. It's sometimes less work to do it in one run & sometimes less work to piece it in. Depends on the job.

& sometimes you just miss measure.

• bipbap
    Yes contractor will have to extend them
    there just didn’t seem to be any good reason they came up short considering the runs weren’t long.
  • JUGHNE
    I would be more concerned about what looks to be metallic flexible conduit and if it is considered approved for wet locations?
    It may or may not be, IDK.