Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Wet return

347 Member Posts: 143
Hello all,
Has anyone used megapress on a wet return? I need to replace a small section and was thinking it might be wui

Comments

Sorry about the cut off.
    Thinking it might be quicker then screw pipe. Pros, cons?
    Thanks
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,725
    edited November 2020
    I believe the o-ring in the fitting is rated for a high enough temperature to use on a wet return. It might even work on dry returned. There was a discussion on this topic before relating to using press fittings on mains and risers. The jury is still out on that question. manufacturer literature says OK but very little experience in the field on the swing joint function with temperature change/expansion and the like.
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • EzzyT
    EzzyT Member Posts: 1,294
    From what the Veiga rep has told me and in there literature that megapress is rated for low pressure steam.
    E-Travis Mechanical LLC
    Etravismechanical@gmail.com
    201-887-8856
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,170
    Wet returns you should have no problem with megapress. Temperatures are quite low -- or should be!
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    Thank you al for your replies. I'm doing the job tomorrow and I'll let you know how it went.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    MEGA Press is rated for low pressure steam so using it for wet returns is fine............Unless the old pipe that you connect to is pitted
    The pro press went really well.
    Take a look at the boiler header, see anything wrong?

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,170
    You've got to be kidding...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    ethicalpaul
    That's what I said. Calling back the company that installed it to make corrections. I showed him the installation manual to see how it should be installed.
    ethicalpaul
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,103
    Looking at that boilers piping leads to one thing and that is the installer is clueless you need to find a new installer . That is not even close to being correct and it must be under performing . Contact and pro and get it piped correctly, this would be the right thing to do and as many have stated steam system will usually work no matter how badly piped they are the difference is when working correctly there simple and work properly and like all properly designed heating system u would never know it on because your comfortable and don’t need to know if it is on or not that’s what it’s all about comfort . Peace and good luck clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
    ethicalpaul