Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

System 2000 runs for a minute, shuts off stays off for a couple minutes and then runs for a minute

grumpy47
grumpy47 Member Posts: 5
edited July 2020 in THE MAIN WALL
My System 2000 is quiet but for the last year or more it short cycles. I live in a duplex with two separate zone valves, Honeywell ditigal. I have had two local boiler guys look at the problem. The guy suggest staggering the time the thermostats come on. The other guy didn’t know what to do. So the problem still exist. Once both sides of the duplex quit calling for heat the furnace stops. Bypassed the system manager with a green card but didn’t solve the problem. Installed new fuel pump still cycles. Checked both thermostats to see if they worked separately all good. Both turned off the furnace when I set the thermostat to stop calling for heat. The greatest fraustration the guy who installed at least 10 years ago retired and have not found someone to help with the problem. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,540
    It's only during heating calls? Not domestic calls?
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Year or more...? Someone from EK will probably be by shortly for guidance.
    steve
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    another thought..have someone call energy kinetics while sitting in front of the equipment..
  • Roger
    Roger Member Posts: 329
    Thank you for your question, @grumpy47 .
    I’m guessing you mean the “burner” runs for a minute and then shuts off for a few minutes.
    If this is the case, it sounds like a flow issue on the boiler side, possibly a bad circulator or other blockage. Surprisingly, gravity flow can sometimes provide enough heat to satisfy thermostat calls.
    If the burner turns off while the burner light on the manager is on, it could likely be a boiler side flow issue.

We welcome a call from your heating professional to walk through the symptoms and develop a resolution. It’s especially helpful if they call from your duplex.

Best,
    Roger
    President
    Energy Kinetics, Inc.
    Robert O'BrienratioErin Holohan HaskellJellis
  • grumpy47
    Hi Roger, So appreciate your reply. The main problem here in Alaska I have not found a knowledgeable professional. I had them on several occasions change out the circulator pump on the heating side and also the aquastat. What is so interesting when I take a shower everything runs normally. The temperature is 170 then drops to 150 the burner turns on and runs for around 4 minutes. Did this twice while taking a long shower. So I would assume this is normal. But when I turn up the thermostat the burner runs for a minute and shuts off.
  • neilc
    neilc Member Posts: 2,689
    post a picture of the near boiler piping including to the domestic tank
    known to beat dead horses
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,803
    > @grumpy47 said:
    > But when I turn up the thermostat the burner runs for a minute and shuts off.

What's lights are lit on the Manager at that point? The left side thermostat light is constantly lit?
  • Roger
    Thank you @grumpy47 .
    It does sound like there is no flow through that heating zone. We can work with your contractor, or possibly suggest one if you feel that’s needed.
    Best,
    Roger
    President
    Energy Kinetics, Inc.
  • Roger
    edited July 2020
    Thank you, @HVACNUT - good question. It could be a chattering thermostat which creates a delay to restart the burner. This could happen fast enough that you may not see it on the manager lights.
    Roger
    President
    Energy Kinetics, Inc.
  • grumpy47
    Thanks Roger, I have two zone valves for my duplex. I can check it again but I think the burner cycles regardless of what side is calling for heat. I can’t check now because I have a bypass green card to operate the burner bypassing the manager.
  • Roger
    We should get more details while operating the system, and maybe we can talk with your heating professional first to explore other ideas. It sounds like the temperature limit may be turning off the burner, which it’s typically a boiler side flow issue.
    President
    Energy Kinetics, Inc.