Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Best Toilets

Robert_T
Robert_T Member Posts: 8
We have been using Niagra Conservation Flaperless toilets in our buildings for at least ten years. They are so ultimately simple as when you eliminate the flapper you have gotten rid of about 80% of toilet problems. They make at least three designs and ratings from .8 of a gallon to 1.6 gallons per flush. We have mostly used the 1.6-gallon unit with excellent results. It is a mystery to me that they are not better known. For a couple of years, they were sold by Home Depot relabeled as Glacier Bay toilets.

Comments

• HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    Check the thread "Toilets" in the plumbing category by @ChrisJ .
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,022
    I have one of those, works great, I use flush 1 most all the time without issues. I'd like a bit larger water spot.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,586
    hot_rod said:

I have one of those, works great, I use flush 1 most all the time without issues. I'd like a bit larger water spot.

I have a 1.6 Gerber in my upstairs bathroom that uses a normal size flapper and I get by with 1 flush all of the time. Literally never any streaks, huge water spot and flushes really good

How is works great defined as getting by with 1 flush most of the time on a modern toilet? ;)
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    kcopp
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,695
    ChrisJ said:

hot_rod said:

I have a 1.6 Gerber in my upstairs bathroom that uses a normal size flapper and I get by with 1 flush all of the time. Literally never any streaks, huge water spot and flushes really good

How is works great defined as getting by with 1 flush most of the time on a modern toilet? ;)
    I'm assuming that "flush 1" (not "1 flush") means it has two flush volumes (number 1 and number 2 haha) and he gets by with the smaller flush volume almost all the time.

But I look forward to the real answer!
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el
    mattmia2
  • jumper
    jumper Member Posts: 2,226
    There's flappers and then there are superior flappers. Same goes for fill valves. Fillpro s needed shock arrester.
  • ChrisJ
    > @jumper said:
    > There's flappers and then there are superior flappers. Same goes for fill valves. Fillpro s needed shock arrester.

What flappers do you find hold up well?

The bell siphon setup common in Europe seems superior imo.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 755
    I used wall toilets in my last project .... using in my newest as well. They are very nice -- work great. the new has what is called rim flush
  • HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,425
    I find that the best toilet is the one you can get to in a hurry when you need to.
    SuperTechcnmdesignSolid_Fuel_Man
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,691
    Just installed the American standard cadet Pro and one of my rental units. I like how simple the lines are. Also, how many y’all still use the old style chrome supply tubes? Those flex supplies are gross
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • ChrisJ
    > @GW said:
    > Just installed the American standard cadet Pro and one of my rental units. I like how simple the lines are. Also, how many y’all still use the old style chrome supply tubes? Those flex supplies are gross

I had chrome last time but this time around I didn't feel like it.

I'll be honest, that rubber cove based ruins it.

Hey, are you the guy cooling off and laughing with N2?
  • ChrisJ
    Well, this happened while I had a nap.
    Apparently the incoming pressure isn't always 88 psi.

@hot_rod
    My precharge..... Should that match the no flow pressure of the prv?
  • GW
    edited July 2020
    Oh well it is an apartment.

You saw my nitrogen bath video?
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • ChrisJ
    > @GW said:
    > Oh well it is an apartment.
    >
    > You saw my nitrogen bath video?

I thought so but I wasn't sure if that was you. I thought it looked like you. I need to like your page.
  • GW
    That’s me, I think most folks don’t love their job as much as I do, I’m a blessed man
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    Gary, I see you use "Glassboard" for wall covering in that bath room. Great idea for a rental, that (with 1/2" plywood) is used here in dairy barns for wash down capability and a cow might now break the wall very easily.

Perhaps I am seeing wrong, but is the tank nut on the supply line crooked or cross thread.

You mentioned simple lines. Maybe 30 years ago toilet bowls had a smooth skirt down the sides with no bumps showing.
    The first one like yours I installed in a custom house the GC did not like the exposed "large intestine" showing on the sides.
    He was the same GC who questioned, at that time, the AC disconnect cluttering up the side of the house......he said that my competing sub never installed them, just hard wired.
    Of course everyone now includes them.
  • ChrisJ
    I don't think you could cross thread a fill valve nut. But I hope I don't see thread sealer on a compression fitting......
  • JUGHNE
    I have seen them cross threaded, the rubber nose cone still seals. Until you have to change something.
    Maybe even almost did one myself. Plastic threads, both male and female are sometimes a curse.
    ChrisJ
  • GW
    It does look crooked but I’m quite sure it’s straight. Now that you say something, I only hand tightened that nut! I cranked it hard with my vice grip fingers though.

Oh no you see some Teflon dope. Shux
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • GW
    J I think you need to go way beyond 30 years to find a smooth sided toilet. I started in the early- mid 80s as a young man and I don’t ever recall a smooth sided bowl.
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • BillyO
    BillyO Member Posts: 277
    Ferguson, The king of toilets
    The stradivarius of bowls
  • ChrisJ
    > @GW said:
    > It does look crooked but I’m quite sure it’s straight. Now that you say something, I only hand tightened that nut! I cranked it hard with my vice grip fingers though.
    >
    > Oh no you see some Teflon dope. Shux

Why Teflon dope on a compression joint?
  • GW
    Chromes don’t seat/bite as well as copper but I’ve done it all my life (both copper and chrome supply)
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • JUGHNE
    Maybe I am older than I think I am. ;) But I do recall the smooth sided WC's sometime in my past lifetimes. They were good and easy for wipedowns.
    I do use La-Co Slicktite teflon paste on all plastic and all union threads and heaven forbid, even the ground union faces.
    It is basically a lubricant. Especially on ground joint PVC P-traps connections. Also on all slip joint washers and threads.
    You can feel the difference as you tighten them up with or without the paste.
    Just an old guy thing.
    ChrisJrick in AlaskaGW
  • MikeL_2
    MikeL_2 Member Posts: 486
    We use stainless flex & chrome plated toilet supply tubing, but never any plastic nuts.....
  • ChrisJ
    MikeL_2 said:

We use stainless flex & chrome plated toilet supply tubing, but never any plastic nuts.....

No plastic nuts? Why not?
    What do you screw that metal nut onto, a plastic Fluidmaster?

• MikeL_2
    I've seen several of those nuts fracture at their ultrasonic weld; usually due to water hammer or overtighening, I think.
  • GW
    Wow never seen plastic nuts fail, that’s a bummer
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • BillyO
    overtightened, I have been using factory supplied nuts forever with copper chrome supplies and never a problem
  • MikeL_2
    There is plenty of info out there on plastic nut failure, and the ensuing water damage.
    I only needed to see one such failure to revert to brass nuts..........
  • BillyO
    are you putting brass nuts on plastic shanks?
  • GW
    Mike which nut is it that we speak? Holding the fill valve or holding the supply tube? You’re sure it wasn’t over tightened? As you know it or has a rubber gasket it just barely needs a wrench
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
    ChrisJBillyO
  • ChrisJ
    MikeL_2 said:

There is plenty of info out there on plastic nut failure, and the ensuing water damage.

I only needed to see one such failure to revert to brass nuts..........

To be fair,
    There's plenty of info out there on pex, pvc, copper, galv pipe all failing and the ensuing water damage. Every material and design out there needs to be done correctly.
    BillyOCanucker
  • MikeL_2
    edited July 2020
    I've witnessed so much in my 50 plus year career, why tempt fate? A quick closing ballcock can create pressure spikes much like a fast closing solenoid.
    I despise csst, pvc pipe for combustion venting, plastic female adapters, plastic companion nuts, dry horizontal plumbing vents below fixture flood level, insulated piping in exposed cavities, uncaulked fixtures, return mounted circulators, and I could go on. Safety & liability are first for me, always. I try to live by " perfect practice makes perfect "( a quote by John Wooden - google his pyramid of success), I've seen too many flawed techniques perfected. I use " best standard practice " as a guide, and always strive to be a good student & teacher.......
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    edited July 2020
    Ok...am I the only one who uses these?

Mercury plastics PEX risers. I like them because I've never had a leak, you can cut them to length to avoid the S.S.flex pretzels. And they are dirt cheap.

I cannot say the same for chrome risers.
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
  • ChrisJ

Ok...am I the only one who uses these?

Mercury plastics PEX risers. I like them because I've never had a leak, you can cut them to length to avoid the S.S.flex pretzels. And they are dirt cheap.

If they manufacture them and sell them at a reasonable price I highly doubt you're the only one using them.

Solid_Fuel_Man
  • ethicalpaul
    ethicalpaul Member Posts: 5,695
    JUGHNE said:

Gary, I see you use "Glassboard" for wall covering in that bath room. Great idea for a rental, that (with 1/2" plywood) is used here in dairy barns for wash down capability and a cow might now break the wall very easily.

Hey! Something I actually know a ton about! That's FRP, Fiberglass Reinforced Polyester, in a pebble-grain pattern. I worked for 17 years at a flush door manufacturer that used them for door and panel facesheets.

It's extremely durable, but somewhat UV-fade prone, and not really great in a fire test :grimace:
    NJ Steam Homeowner. See my sight glass boiler videos: https://bit.ly/3sZW1el