Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

ZVC-406 Extra 24V terminals...

Options
john p_2
john p_2 Member Posts: 367
Having an issue with how to land 18 gauge wires at the (4) spare 24 terminals. Can someone please tell me how to land these? I have unscrewed them all the way but cannot seem to push the wire to where you'd expect it to land under the screw for some reason. Help please
MikeL_2

Comments

• GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,692
    Options
    Are there other wires you can fiddle with to try and figure it out? Once in a while I get “jammed” too. It’s frustrating
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • john p_2
    Options
    Originally was trying to land wire on right side of terminal, with no luck. Had success landing them on the left side, same side as the yellow wires land
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,692
    Options
    Yes correct, looks like you’re done
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • john p_2
    Options
    Thanks
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,432
    Options
    I actually don't think they were designed to go on the right hand side.
  • john p_2
    Options
    Kcopp, I agree. Thats where I first thought they went. But will tell you it was not easy to get the wires on the left side. Very poor design, no room at all.
  • Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Alan (California Radiant) Forbes Member Posts: 4,002
    edited May 2020
    Options
    I don't think they were designed to have ANY wires added. If you want 24 volts, add a transformer instead of endangering your zone valve control, especially one that has a difficult-to-remove transformer. If you make a mistake and fry the transformer............do I need to elaborate?
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • john p_2
    Options
    Yes, understood. I gave up on it because it was so difficult and thinking about it, I needed to supply four new stats w/24 volts and didn't feel comfortable trying to feed them from those transformers. Thanks
  • john p_2
    Options
    I'm trying to switch to all wifi stats (4) in the house. All existing stats were wired with 16 or 18/7 and have at least one unused wire. I need a diagram how to power these up if I add a new transformer keeping in mind I already have two wires going to TT terminals in my ZVC406.
    I have decided to use Honeywell Lyric 5+ thermostats.
  • SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,160
    Options
    You could just replace your zone valve control. Tekmar and others make zone valve control panels that have a common wire terminal for each thermostat.
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,834
    edited May 2020
    Options
    You've got 6 zone valves, 4, 24v powered thermostats, internal switching, and 80 va. Get the calculator.

Contact Taco. If you use 2 thermostats per transformer, I would think it would be ok. With room to spare.

If Taco abides, I would use one wire under each terminal screw as a lead for external splices.

Weird that Taco provides 24v terminals on the SR zone boards at the thermostat connections and a separate 24v output terminal block. Maybe there's a reason they don't on the ZVC. But the newest Revision I believe is from 2006, so who knows?
  • SteveSan
    SteveSan Member Posts: 234
    Options
    Hi John, attach is a wiring diagram for an external transformer for your old zvc406. If you need assistance please contact Taco Tech Support @ 401-942-8000. We are here Mon-Fri 8am-5pm EST.
    rick in Alaska
  • john p_2
    Options
    Wow, thanks so much Steve. No my dilemma is how to neatly bring the 24V wires to/from stats & transformer
  • SteveSan
    Options
    If you are just looking for a "c" terminal on the old zvc, you would run the common wire down to the #1 zone valve terminal. So it will share the #1 from the zone valve as well
  • SteveSan
    Options
    Forgot to attach wiring C to old zvc control. Second diagram on the page
    SuperTech
  • john p_2
    Options
    That is exactly what I was looking for thanks Steve. Bur now let me tell you that I just ordered a new ZVC406-4 6 zone valve control panel (the one w/indicator lights in front, not on the side) as I have a relay that is bad. Will I see a "C" common wire location on the drawing that comes with the panel?
  • HVACNUT
    Options
    > @john p_2 said:
    > Wow, thanks so much Steve. No my dilemma is how to neatly bring the 24V wires to/from stats & transformer

No dilemma. If I were in your shoes I'd be on the phone to the service department of the company that installed the system. It certainly looks like they're capable.
  • john p_2
    edited May 2020
    Options
    HVACNUT - I installed it all.
  • SteveSan
    Options
    With your new ZVC406-4 you will have at the T-stat connection your R-W-C terminals on the top. http://apps.taco-hvac.com/uploads/FileLibrary/102-397.pdf
    SuperTechjohn p_2
  • HVACNUT
    Options
    > @john p_2 said:
    > HVACNUT - I installed it all.

Nice work!
    You said there's at least one extra wire at each thermostat so what's the issue?
  • john p_2
    Options
    HvacNut- no issue now that I know where to land the "C" wire...I hope to get to it tonite
  • john p_2
    Options
    SteveSan, just wired the first & easiest stat which is in the garage. Easiest cause it is heat only and worked great. One issue that I forgot to mention is now after initially trying to land the "C" wires on those four terminals shown in my pics the Taco PC700-2 is now reading outdoor temp thats not correct, off by 15° to the low side. Any ideas?
  • SteveSan
    Options
    There should be an ohms chart on the instruction sheet. Ohm out the sensor to see if it is reading the correct temp.
    http://apps.taco-hvac.com/uploads/FileLibrary/PC700-2(102-097).pdf
  • john p_2
    Options
    So I've tested the temp sensor on my PC-700 and see 2.65 on my meter. The PC 700 displays an outdoor temp of 45° and Weather Channel phone app says real time outdoor temp is 62°. I installed a fresh battery in my meter to be sure it was accurate, now what?
  • HVACNUT
    Options
    You need to know what type resistor. Anything in the manual?
    If it's a 10K, then it thinks it's 137°. And it would be wrong.
  • john p_2
    Options
    HVACNut all I see in the paper work is outdoor sensor M2036
  • Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Options
    "The wires from the sensor must not be connected to the control
    while the test is performed."

Looks like a 10K sensor.

8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • john p_2
    Options
    Thanks Alan, I will recheck it tomorrow.
  • HVACNUT
    Options
    Good save @Alan (California Radiant) Forbes . Step 1, remove wires.

The resistance chart is on page 7.
  • john p_2
    Options
    So here is the ohm reading with multimeter set at 20k and wires diconnected at the sensor....Multimeter displays 16.72
    Outdoor temp 72° F
    PC700-2 displaying 57°F
  • HVACNUT
    Options
    The ohm reading is correct according to what the display is reading.

Are you able to check actual outdoor temp at the sensor location? North side in the shade?
  • john p_2
    Options
    HvacNut...I'm sure I could come up with some sort of thermometer but are you suggesting the15° difference between the Weather app display temp for my town and the display temp on the the PC700 is not accurate? I believe it might be a degree or two off but more than that, I seriously doubt it.
    The sensor is located on the north side of the house, in shade.
  • HVACNUT
    Options
    No. The sensor is telling the PC700 its 57°. Its wrong.
    At 72°, the reading should be approximately 11,305. You need a new sensor.
  • john p_2
    Options
    Ok, cool we agree on that. Pretty expensive for a little sensor. Oh well....
  • john p_2
    Options
    Finally got a chance to replace both my zone control panel and outdoor temp sensor. But now I have a display on my Taco PC700-2 that I've never seen before....the "WWSD" I've never seen this prior to changing the outdoor sensor. I know the system design is for that to be set at 70° because all settings were recorded in the PC700 paperwork
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Options
    WWSD is warm weather shut down. If enabled it won't allow a zone valve to open/boiler to file when any zone calls, when the temperature is at or above the WWSD setpoint.
    steve
  • john p_2
    Options
    STEVEusaPA, thanks so much.
  • john p_2
    Options
    SteveSan,
    Installed the new Taco PC700 temp sensor & the Taco zone control panel, love it with "C" wire connections.

Also installed a thermostat termination box due to some short wires - previously had just an electrical junction box but changed it out to a custom black plastic box w/aluminum as a back plate to mount the new terminals to.

Started installing the remaining Wifi stats, should be complete soon - see attached photos. Thanks for the help

STEVEusaPASteveSan
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Options
    Looks great! Nice workmanship.
    steve
  • Wellness
    Wellness Member Posts: 141
    Options
    Nice finishing detail on the coiled thermostat wire leading to the Taco zone valve and, also, black wire looms.