Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

What Happened To Indirect Hot Water Heater Quality?

Options
JacquesD23
JacquesD23 Member Posts: 11
edited March 2020 in THE MAIN WALL
If you look at the indirect brands from 20+ years ago. They made tanks that are still around today. But now a days I wont even use the previous "Best" brands like Amtrol, Triangle Tube, Mega Store, etc. I have had multiple cases where we replaced a 30 year old Amtrol with the new model, and we end up replacing it under warranty 3 times in under 6 years. Why did these companies forget how to make tanks that last?

The only model I still use is Superstore SSUs and the Vaughn Stone line. Which so far I have had decent luck with.

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Options
    What makes you think they 'forgot'?
    steve
    GroundUp
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    Options
    I have a 10+ year old Heat-Flo 115gal S.S. still working. Water quality and chlorides play the biggest factor in the longevity I believe. And municipalities have had to add more chlorine in recent years.
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
    kcopp
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,139
    Options
    Mostly has to do with the water quality. Operating temperature has a lot to do with life expectancy also.
    More chlorides in water from road de-overs, different chemical blends used by public water systems
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    kcopp
  • JacquesD23
    Options
    I took a 30 year old Amtrol hot water heater out of a customers house about 7 years ago. In the previous 6 years he has gone through 3 of them, and now we said forget the warranty and changed to a Superstore.
  • JacquesD23
    Options
    I have had the same thing happen with the new Triangle Tube Phase 3s and Mega Stores. The 20+ year old ones did not have warranty failures that were this common even in the same water quality. They are failing at the piping connection seems on these new ones very consistently. And I have verified with my supply houses that it is happening to everyone that uses those formerly top quality brands.