Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Lochinvar boiler pump

ultra
ultra Member Posts: 8
I have an older lochinvar boiler and it works great but the pump runs continuous. I have wiring But it does not show a timer or a delay. Does anyone know if there is an aftermarket one I could install so that the pump would shut off after so many minutes once the water has reached temperature

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    What model do you have? Can you post some pics including the controls?
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • delta T
    delta T Member Posts: 884
    Is this the variable speed pump that ships with the boiler? Need some more info, likely either connected incorrectly or there are control settings that need changing....
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    @ultra
    Lochinvar makes a lot of boilers with even more ways to control a pump.
    Can you post a picture of the boiler including the terminals that the pump in question is tied to?
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
    mattmia2
  • ultra
    Rbn 500.
    There is nothing in control panel.
    Flow switch, high limit, operating limit, transformer, I just put a pump relay in and the ignition module
  • delta T
    delta T Member Posts: 884
    edited February 2020
    ultra said:

Does anyone know if there is an aftermarket one I could install so that the pump would shut off after so many minutes once the water has reached temperature

I'm curious why you want to do this? Are you trying to turn the pump off mid cycle once the water temp is reached (but during a call for heat), or does the pump run all the time, and you want to shut it off between calls for heat?
  • ultra
    The pump is running 24 /7 when I have power to the unit. What I want to accomplish is after the heat cycle is completed I would like the pump to turn off 3 to 4 minutes after. And then when the temperature decreases and it’s called for heat it will turn back on
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,022
    The pump should run after the burner is off to purge that heat and prevent running to high limit

Shop for a time delay relay, delay on off cycle

Looks like a relay inside us disconnected? What does the boiler wiring diagram show?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    delta T
  • ultra
    According to Lochinvar they have a post purge relay that will let the pump run for 30 seconds after the burn is done. I want something to run longer than that. There weren’t any wires disconnected. I just took a picture of it that way because I’ve been playing with other timers trying to get it to work
  • hot_rod
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    ultra
  • ultra
    I ordered a delay timer on line today. I’ll see if that works but I’m not hopeful at this point
  • hot_rod
    Looks like a batch DHW boiler?

If so is that tank the only load? Seems like a lot of hp, short cycling and over shooing temperature?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • ultra
    It is in a car wash. The water is used for undercarriage, all soaps and wax and some for rinse. 1 storage tank . Yes the circulation is just the holding tank and unit.
  • hot_rod
    a time delay relay should help. There are different types, I think you want one that keeps the contacts closed after power is removed from the coil, not just an intermittent break.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    I have met engineers that swear your setup should run constant circulation to keep the tank mixed.
    I don't agree and recommend what you are proposing. You will get more tank stratification and you may need to move the tank sensor. You may not have a tank sensor and may be running off the boiler aquastat.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • hot_rod
    When those copper tube boilers age they tend to scale the tubes. Then when the burner goes off the overshoot, sometimes kicking limit switches. You may need to descale it at some point also
    Large pumps and high velocity helps scrub the tubes, compared to heating boilers
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    ultra