Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New Yorker AP 590 firebox crack

I popped open the observation door today because I knew I had scraped the firebox with the brush while cleaning out the air tubes. Turns out the scrapes weren't as bad as the horizontal cracks around the three walls. The cracks look pretty old, (see pics). The boiler was installed in 94. Is this a big problem? The boiler doesn't get used that much. I had a large in wall wood stove installed in 2010 so I only use about 500 gallons of oil from November thru May. Maybe another 200 gallons for the remainder of the year for hot water.
Thanks.

Comments

• Patchogue Phil_2
    Patchogue Phil_2 Member Posts: 304
    http://www.patriot-supply.com/products/showitem.cfm/3470

If your front plate comes off easily via bolts, the chamber is not difficult to replace. It's just messy/dusty.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    It doesn't look that bad. I would monitor it. It will easily make it to the summer.
  • medeirosp
    medeirosp Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for both responses. Does it look like months or years left on it? The outside green painted sheet metal shows no sign of heat damage. Paint is not discolored. I'm guessing some of these cracks may have occurred a long time ago?
  • Patchogue Phil_2
    Patchogue Phil_2 Member Posts: 304
    I'm not a heating pro, just a learned DIY enthusiast. Some of the cracks look like only surface crackling. But on the left, the picture makes it look like a deeper crack that was filled in with furnace cement. Just my guess based on the pic.

I replaced my own combustion chamber in a New Yorker S-118AP which I believe uses same chamber and is of similar design.

Make sure your burner is not over fired.
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,804
    A '96 steel dry base boiler lost its efficiency a few years ago.
    Think about upgrading to a high efficiency system.
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    If it's loose and could fall down, replace it, otherwise it's not that bad.
    Be more concerned about it being cold start and condensing because of improper boiler protection.
    The boiler itself on the other hand...
    steve
  • medeirosp
    medeirosp Member Posts: 3
    Thanks again. The boiler was a builder's special. I spoke to the New Yorker people and they said the new oil burning models are at best 87% efficient. My model brand new was about 81%. The guy said to get in the 90s with oil, you have to move to a modulating condensing boiler. Not planning on getting rid of this one anytime soon since I heat mostly with wood but in the event I have to, I'd appreciate any suggestions on what to get. The tricky part is that I might be out of this house in 10yrs and the next guy may not want to burn like I do.

Thanks
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Well 2 schools of thought.
    -You replace the boiler, and enjoy the saving and comfort.
    -Stay as is, and usually a prospective home buyer, combined with home inspector, and realtor will have you replace it before you sell it.
    In your case, you're probably ok with leaving it, keeping it cleaned, serviced, and properly tuned.
    steve