Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

LOUD Burnham Alpine Flue Noise

modelcitizendc
modelcitizendc Member Posts: 3
edited February 2020 in THE MAIN WALL
https://youtu.be/1UjYEoGcgcU

I bought the house back in the summer and had never run the system until I moved in last month because the radiators were pulled out of the house.

Anyhow, this thing works a treat but is generating a massive column of steam and a loud sound coming out of the flue. It is far worse when the boiler first starts up and then dulls a little over time, but is still loud even then.

I would describe the sound as a low whistle but listen for yourself.

All the googling I've done seems to imply that people's usual problem is caused by the boiler itself or the pipes vibrating. As best as I can tell this is NOT what's going on here. I put a screw on top of the boiler and it just sits there doing nothing. The noise seems to be related to the escaping of the hot gases out of the flue, not the boiler itself, as it's MUCH louder outside the house than in.

However, the whistling sound is very clearly audible across the house and two floors up (not to mention a block away, so it must be driving my neighbors crazy too).

Any ideas for quieting this thing down? My wife is ready to kill me.

Comments

• GroundUp
    GroundUp Member Posts: 1,889
    I'd start by pulling that stupid tee off of there, but otherwise that's kind of the nature of the beast. I'm guessing this is a high temp system judging by the amount of steam?
  • SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,139
    Wow another flue pipe installed underneath a window....I guess your installer didn't read the installation manual and no one inspected the installation. Has the boiler been combustion tested? Pictures of the installation and how the flue pipe was run would be helpful.
    DZoro
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    The "steam" coming out is normal. It's indicative that the flue gasses are condensing and the boiler is operating efficiently. The vent termination should probably have a 45* Ell instead of the Tee so the exhaust will be directed away from the house. The 45 should point upward.

I can't tell from your video what the exact sound is. If it sounds like a "fog horn", then the problem is harmonic resonance which is caused by use of CSST gas piping and/or improper burner adjustment.

Please post some pics of the boiler and its near piping.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    kcopp
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,168
    Cute. The F above middle C, poorly played. That would drive me nuts. Agree with @Ironman . For the sake of chuckles, can you slip a 1 foot section of pipe into that T and see if the pitch of the sound changes? Not that that will cure it, but I've gotten curious about why some of these installations do that and others don't.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    Is the pipe to the left the intake?
    If so, cross contamination has probably trashed the venturi and itis running way out of spec. If not, the combustion being way off will cause a noise like that. Have a technician do a combustion analysis and determine what is going on.
    Follow the above recommendations as well.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
    DZoro
  • modelcitizendc
    edited February 2020
    The plumbers who re-installed the radiators agreed that the flue installation (done by previous homeowner) was not done correctly, they are coming out to address. We will see if that affects the noise at all. Thanks so much for the replies.
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,762
    I always like to use tees in spots when the wind could cause positive pressure on the venting ?

I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,575
    It appears to be 4' below the window which is usually what is required, correct?
    GroundUp
  • modelcitizendc
    I'm in DC, I think I heard someone say code is 3' below. In any case the intake and the exhaust are too close so they are going to move the exhaust further away and use a 45° to point it up and away like Ironman mentioned.