Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

NYC Boiler Inspections LWC + Aquastat

Options
MarkMEPFP
MarkMEPFP Member Posts: 3
I installed a Viessmann wall mount in a two family home which has a built in limit switch. I was told that I need to install two LWCutoffs and aquastat both manual reset. Does anyone know the requirements. I would assume the Viessman limit switches would suffice. Am I really supposed to install two? I believe the viessman also has a flow switch that must prove in order to run as an added safety.

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Options
    Have a look at the boiler installation manual, and see if these extras are required, as generally, the manufacturers instructions will take precedence over a local code, (hopefully).—NBC
  • MarkMEPFP
    MarkMEPFP Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Nicholas. Not in NYC the inspectors are dangerous. They don’t know the code themselves.
  • BillyO
    BillyO Member Posts: 277
    Options
    NYC mechanical code supersedes manufacturers requirements. You will absolutely need to install a second low water cutoff. Trust me its cheaper to install it than to try to go back and forth with NYC DOB. You can cross reference mechanical code, fuel gas code and plumbing code and see what is required
    B_Sloane
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,523
    Options
    @MarkMEPFP

We have had the same problem in Massachusetts. Unfortunately the codes have not caught up with the new technology Viessmann and all the other mod cons have been sliding stuff in that does not meet the codes as written. Some inspectors catch it some don't.

This has been going on for some time and Viessmann and the other mod con manufacturers do nothing but ignore it