Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

boiler automatic feeder interrupter switch

I just came across a web site recommending that in certain circumstances an automatic feeder can flood a boiler and the company recommends installing an interrupter in series with the feeder wiring. While such a failure seems unlikely, it's a situation to think about. Does anyone have any knowledge/history with this situation. If you want to read about it, search on "peril of automatic water feeder".

Comments

• SteamingatMohawk
    SteamingatMohawk Member Posts: 997
    As luck would have it, I Googled boiler feed interrupter switch and found a Heating Help thread from 2012 about the specific subject, including the author of the article. Any more recent thoughts are appreciated.
  • Hap_Hazzard
    Hap_Hazzard Member Posts: 2,846
    In many of the flooding cases I've heard of, the valve got stuck in the open position or else didn't close completely, so a switch wouldn't help in those cases.
    Just another DIYer | King of Prussia, PA
    1983(?) Peerless G-561-W-S | 3" drop header, CG400-1090, VXT-24
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    Anything mechanical can fail, including water feeders
  • Hap_Hazzard
    So a shut-off valve would be more effective than an interrupter switch. But then, the installation instructions for most water feeders call for a manual shut-off valve on either side of the water feeder as well as a bypass, so the water feeder can be removed without affecting manual operation of the boiler feed. As usual, follow the instructions and you should be covered.
  • Hap_Hazzard

ethicalpaul
  • SteamingatMohawk
    SteamingatMohawk Member Posts: 997
    As I read the article the situation seemed to have to do with the feeder opening on partial voltage for some reason and staying open, keeping the valve open for an extended period of time. The interrupter would open the circuit and let the valve shut on loss of power. This is different from the valve sticking mechanically and in that case the interrupter wouldn't do anything.

I concluded the added feature is not worth the effort for the small probability of the problem actually occurring.
    Hap_Hazzard