Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New HeatTimer VariValve vent leaking

Options
I just replaced some old hissing vents with HeatTimer VariValve vents. The new vents are leaking a very small amount - about one to two droplets of water per cycle (so little most of them are not even dripping). I used Teflon tape and ensured it is going in the proper direction. Is there a better sealant I should be using or something I’m overlooking? The old vents did not leak at all.

Comments

• Dan_NJ
    Dan_NJ Member Posts: 247
    Options
    So the leak is coming from the threads where the vent screws into the radiator? What vent was on there previously? It might just need another turn to seal properly. From the picture It looks like that Varivent is fully open, or close to it. The vent rate on that is going to be very high - like 3 times that of a wide open Ventrite #1 or Hoffman #1a.
  • Gsmith
    Gsmith Member Posts: 431
    Options
    Try closing the vent all the way, these vents are almost always too fast for normal sized radiators
  • SteamingatMohawk
    SteamingatMohawk Member Posts: 1,006
    Options
    When Varivents are shut they still vent at an equivalent of a #5.
  • SteamingatMohawk
    SteamingatMohawk Member Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Go see the latest or nearly latest entry in "Why can't I get the two sides of my house heating at the same time?" Attached is a spreadsheet with a table and chart of vent valve capacities.
  • Pumpguy
    Pumpguy Member Posts: 655
    Options
    Are you sure the threads on the old and new vents are the same?

Typically, these are 1/8" NPT, but I have seen reports of some vents having undersize taper threads, straight threads, or even a different thread altogether like BSPP, British Standard Parallel Pipe.

If threads are 1/8 NPT, it might be helpful to run a tap into the hole just to clean up the threads, and then re-install the vent. Just don't go too deep with the tap and make the tapped hole oversize.
    Dennis Pataki. Former Service Manager and Heating Pump Product Manager for Nash Engineering Company. Phone: 1-888 853 9963

The first step in solving any problem is TO IDENTIFY THE PROBLEM.