Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Triangle tube HL-45 connected to Trianco Heat Maker

Hi just bought this house and was wondering is this and indirect system? Also how do I flush this tank? We ran the bath after no more hot water we got a lot of sentiment.

thanks

Comments

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,419
    That design is a Tank in Tank design. The only way to "flush" is to shut off the water and siphon out through the hot or cold port. Did the hot water return after you did the major draw down?
  • erikeman13
    erikeman13 Member Posts: 9
    Oh thanks for your help! I haven't done anything yet. I wasn't sure if it was a true indirect system or it was just considered a storage tank. Are you suppose to do a siphon on these tanks once a year? Also does that work to get sediment out like the way it would work on a bottom valve flush? The tank was put on in 2008 so Im a little nervous about whats going on inside. There is another valve off to the si
    de, not sure if I can do the siphon there or have to do it off the top on either the domestic hot or cold?

• erikeman13

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    edited December 2019
    No! Leave that valve alone. That's on the boiler side (hydronic) piping.

You need a line piped down off of the cold inlet as shown in this diagram. Item 9.

Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    Zman
  • erikeman13
    Ok thanks! It seems this might be out side of my wheel house. Im assuming this should be done but the fact that there is no valve hooked up like in the diagram its safe to say it never was done. Is that really bad or at this point just leave it alone? My father though we could drain it from that bottom valve on the tank? Guess thats not the case? I appreciate all your help

• Ironman
    edited December 2019
    No, that valve is on the hydronic side too.

The only way to drain the inner domestic tank is with a siphon line as shown in the diagram.

In the diagram, the blue and pink is domestic water in the inner tank. The red is boiler water in the outer tank. It's a tank in a tank. Your drain is tapped into the outer tank, not the inner.
    Bob Boan
  • erikeman13
    ok thanks ill leave it alone. Maybe at this point not worth touching. Ive seen corrosion on a lot of my hot water pipes thru my house. Do you think putting a ground from the hot to cold on top of the tank with help with anything?

• erikeman13
    Also is my setup a good setup? I feel like I use alot of oil. I know the boiler is not cast iron and not sure about how good the tank is
  • Ironman
    The tank is Stainless steel which is a dielectric, so I doubt that a bonding jumper would do any good. Probably wouldn't hurt, either.
    Bob Boan
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,419
    The boiler is just ok. Its a steel single pass boiler.... very entry level.
    A 3 pass cast iron boiler, sixed properly to your home would be best.
    There are several models that come to mind. Trio, Pensotti, Buderus, Biasi, etc.
  • erikeman13
    Wow thank you both for all the info, really appreciate it. I have oil and was hoping down the line to convert to gas but it might be a few years before they get down my way. What boiler do you guys recommend for oil that has the ability to convert to gas? my house is 2 story 2200 sqft colonial. Built in 1996 2.5 baths, unfinished basement but would want to finish it one day and put heat in. Just curios what the best setup up would be and best brand?
  • Ironman
    Any of the ones that Kevin mentioned could be converted to a gas burner. The Buderus would be my preference.

However, that would keep you in 80%+ efficiency range. If you wait and install a mod/con gas boiler when you switch to gas, you can have a 95% efficient boiler.
    Bob Boan
    kcopp