Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

What’s the latest greatest setup for warm floors?

Timco
Timco Member Posts: 3,040
I’m planning on making the entire main floor staple up. Are the extruded aluminum plates still the best option? What’s the best control or indoor reset setup? I’m planning a really cool setup.....more to come...
Just a guy running some pipes.

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    A retrofit? What type of flooring?
    Required btu/ sq ft for the rooms?
    Those are a few questions to answer before selecting product.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    Ironman
  • kenjohnson
    kenjohnson Member Posts: 84
    I just went through this myself. You can read the post for my designed install here. https://forum.heatinghelp.com/discussion/163346/would-like-some-feedback-on-my-radiant-design-plans#latest
  • Timco
    Timco Member Posts: 3,040
    hot_rod said:

A retrofit? What type of flooring?

Required btu/ sq ft for the rooms?

Those are a few questions to answer before selecting product.

The entire house is over a full basement. Bats of insulation under floors and I’ll do the calcs today. All hardwood maybe tile or marble in entry and baths but possibly all wood. There’s a large side formal room I want to use insulated board in and wood over that. It’s all CFBB now. May do thin rads for top floor two beds and master bath. 3300 SQ’ and remodeling in the spring / summer.
    Just a guy running some pipes.
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,691
    If you have energy and money you want the radiant product on top of the deck. Don’t you want new floors anyway?
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    Radiation is pay now or pay for the rest of your life. The lowest temp water will give the best efficiency out of that HTP boiler.
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Over the top is the best method for lowest AWT, and conductive finished floors.

From installation view. Work over head, or hands, and knees.
  • hot_rod
    I prefer panel rads in bedrooms, quick responders for setback or turning down unused rooms. Size them for 120 SWT

Radiant floors under beds and dressers, not much comfort value.
    If you want radiant in bedrooms look to the ceiling or lower wall.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    ZmanSolid_Fuel_ManCanucker
  • psb75
    psb75 Member Posts: 828
    Warmboard is an excellent product. Goes on top of the deck/subfloor. Give them a schematic of your building floor plan and they will design. Already insulated w/aluminum diffusion. Grooved, ready for pipe to press in. Can run quite low water temps. in it.
  • GW
    Solid Fuel Man I used to think that, but dropping an extra 20 on the heating system will never pay for itself. It’s all bout comfort and some savings (if the system is set up well)
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • Gordy
    GW said:

Solid Fuel Man I used to think that, but dropping an extra 20 on the heating system will never pay for itself. It’s all bout comfort and some savings (if the system is set up well)

If it’s only 20 degrees you drop. Sometimes it’s much more depending on a staple ups design, and r value you have to push through. Could be the difference in much more time condensing, and or using lower modulation range.
    Solid_Fuel_Man
  • hot_rod
    If that extra 20° keeps you in condensing mode it will make a considerable difference in efficiency and operating cost.

Also running at low modulation rates increases the efficiency of the boiler. So modulate that 100K boiler down to 25% and low as possible SWT.

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Solid_Fuel_ManGordy
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    Exactly @hot_rod and @Gordy

I've seen way way way too many radiant systems done with skimpy plates or tube under the floor. What you end up with is a system that runs at 160 degrees to heat the space. Well that's fine for oil, heck you can skip the mixing valve and just run it like any other zone.

If you want real savings and are using a condensing boiler, the mich more emitter needs to be installed, which most often works out better being above the deck in old construction with thick wood decking etc.

Might even consider a thin slab pour over if you have or can create adaquite support underneath. The emitter drives the water temps!

I over radiate everything and run slab-like temps, I love seeing water pour out the condensate drain of an install I've done.
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
    CanuckerGordy
  • Gordy
    I would much rather deal with implementing the infrastructure in an over the top install verses an under the floor install.

However, Knees, shoulders, neck. It’s all sore :D
  • GW
    I’m a choir boy too, just stating the facts. 20 may not even be in the ballpark if new floors are needed, make it 50😀. If your home costs $1200-yr to heat and you save 20% with a top shelf heating system, you’re not doing this as an investment. 4000 sq fr home and up then yeah let’s spend some dough
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
    Solid_Fuel_Man
  • psb75
    I repeat: Warmboard.
    egansen
  • Gordy
    You are referring to warmboard R

It’s a good product, but there are others that offer a tighter tube spacing.

Sun board
    Roth
    A few others
    Ironman
  • psb75
    I think warm board's tube spacing is what it is because it is so effective--the insulation and the aluminum transfer material.