Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Gil Carlson

Tinman
Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
edited December 2019 in THE MAIN WALL
This may have been mentioned before, but I just found Gil Carlson Instructional videos on YouTube. There’s 7 or 8 of them and they’re awesome.

It’s like watching Steinbeck describe how he wrote Grapes of Wrath.

My typical Friday night. 😎
Steve Minnich
ZmanSolid_Fuel_Man

Comments

• DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,513
    Thanks, Steve. That really brings me back. It's so nice to hear his voice again.
    Retired and loving it.
    Tinman
  • Tinman
    I’m a bit in awe watching him. He solved some really complicated problems rather easily, and changed everything while doing so.

Wow.
    Steve Minnich
  • DanHolohan
    I have so many memories of him. He was very difficult to talk to one-on-one.
    Retired and loving it.
  • Tinman
    Would you describe him as brilliant? Maybe that’s why?
    Steve Minnich
  • Tinman
    The reason I ask is that I’ve met some brilliant people that struggle with being social and anything they may consider small talk.
    Steve Minnich
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    Just watched all the YT videos.

When would you say that was Dan? Early 80s?
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
  • DanHolohan
    Yes, early ‘80s
    Retired and loving it.
    Solid_Fuel_Man
  • DanHolohan
    He was brilliant, but always inside his own head. I once drove him from a Manhattan hotel to LaGuardia Airport. When we got there, he asked me if he had luggage. I went back for it.
    Retired and loving it.
    Tinman
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,725
    Great Find! Thanks
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Very nice to hear his voice. Speaks very well and deliberate, never stuttering or stammering or using extra words to make a point.
    From just reading what Dan wrote about him, I was picturing in my mind more of a 'Doc' from Back to the Future.
    steve
    Solid_Fuel_Man
  • DanHolohan
    He was very proper, as you can see. What you're not seeing is that when talking to groups, he would smoke nonstop and pause every now and then, push himself up from his chair, and blast a smile across the room from wall to wall, like a searchlight. He'd sink back into his chair and continue. It was quite unsettling. I asked about this strange habit and learned that when ITT bought B&G, they brought in a speaking coach for Gil. The coach told him he needed to smile more and make eye contact with his audience. Gil did as told but it was not at all natural.

He also told some racy jokes after breaks, but that was typical for the Boy's Club era. These days, those jokes would get anyone sharing them with a professional audience in trouble.

Retired and loving it.
    Solid_Fuel_Man
  • Mike_Sheppard
    Mike_Sheppard Member Posts: 696
    Great videos. Thank you for sharing!
    Never stop learning.
  • super_snop
    super_snop Member Posts: 48
    From what I have read about him, it appears he was a pioneer in hydronics! By the way Dan... I read your books pumping away and primary secondary made easy. Great books! I am just an average homeowner who was clueless about this stuff until I read your books.
  • DanHolohan
    Thanks!
    Retired and loving it.