Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

correct me if I wrong. Condensate temp

Another mech room. consistently 100 degrees or more. Plans to bring in fresh air to cool it down. Ive done some infrared testing to try to determine why its so hot. 80psi steam coming in regulated to 8. Is thing that hits me is a air actuated condensate tank is 270 degrees. Just a little puff out the breather when the tank cycles. Condensate lines 270. I go to the AHUs 10 stories up condensate line 270. This is not a pressurized condensate system. One trap in the penthouse Im a little suspicious of. Its got to be more than one little trap. Unless a 270 condensate return is normal. i have my doubts there.
coming to you from warm and sunny ND

Comments

• Hap_Hazzard
    Hap_Hazzard Member Posts: 2,846
    Wouldn't the condensate have to be under pressure to exist as a liquid at 270 degrees?
    Just another DIYer | King of Prussia, PA
    1983(?) Peerless G-561-W-S | 3" drop header, CG400-1090, VXT-24
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,170
    Indeed. Somewhere right around 30 psi gauge. I hope there's a good pressure relief valve on that thing... something is very not right.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Hap_Hazzard
    More like 40–45 psi, I think. If the steam pressure is 80 psi it would condense at about 312° F.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,170
    I think 45 psi is absolute... but I could be wrong. Have been before. Whatever, it isn't right.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Hap_Hazzard

I think 45 psi is absolute... but I could be wrong.

No, you're right, it is absolute. My mistake.
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    Didn't he say 80 is regulated down to 8 PSI?
    Maybe the regulator needs attention.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,455
    The first question is is the equipment seeing 80lb steam or 8lb steam? Can't determine the condensate temp without knowing the steam pressure.
    Hap_Hazzard