Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Combustion analyzer altitude??

CBRob
CBRob Member Posts: 273
edited December 2019 in THE MAIN WALL
The guy that installed my triangle two boiler on the driveway melting project does not have his own combustion analyzer. Not being a boiler guy myself this seems a little bit surprising, I talked to him this morning about it and he says that that since he only installs triangle tubes and he's never had to make any adjustments he just did not get it fixed the last time it broke. I was letting him know that to qualify for the extended warranty from triangle tube we need to send a picture off with combustion analyzer results. Didn't seem to give a ****.
I think I might just get my own, so the homes I manage I can do proper inspections on. And get my last client buyer of the triangle tube prestige the full length warranty.
what do I need to look for in a combustion analyzer, I think I can figure out how to use them properly from reading manuals and looking at instructions on the internet. Just want to make sure I get one that will work at our altitude of 9,500 ft and measure all the things I need to measure for condensing boilers, as well as old school boilers and furnaces. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    Triangle Tube used to have regular training seminars at TM sales in Denver on actual boilers. They have since dropped that and gone with online videos https://www.triangletube.com/support/help-videos.
    Testing is pretty simple. Making adjustments is where you can go horribly wrong.

"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
    CBRob
  • CBRob
    edited December 2019
    Zman

Any suggestions for a decent analyzer that won't break the bank?

Is altitude a factor when choosing one?
  • Jolly Bodger
    Jolly Bodger Member Posts: 209
    Testo has some that are affordable. Worked pretty good. For bargain basement, Field Piece makes one. But I have never used it and I don't think it is as complete an analysis.
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,572
    I have a tpi that was good enough to adjust my HTP.
    CBRob
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 7,713
    edited December 2019
    ebay

I don't think I ever paid less than $1000.00 in all the years I used them. (Complete kit with Smoke and Draft gauge). There are some real deals on ebay. And they have protection plans if the used item does not work. Testo is OK. Bacharach is the benchmark. Most success with UEI Eagle for the money. l always purchased new for my business, but for a personal limited use, I might try a gently used product from ebay. Then have it factory tested and tuned up with fresh sensors. It might be a economical way to go!
    Edward F Young. Retired HVAC ContractorSpecialized in Residential Oil Burner and Hydronics
    CBRob
  • Zman
    Almost all measure O2 and CO and calculate the rest.
    Pay close to the sensor life and replacement cost. In my mind, to get a decent one you need to spend about $1,400.
    You will also need a gas manometer to check pressure. They are not very expensive.
    Albert Einstein
    CBRobSTEVEusaPA
  • CBRob
    > @mattmia2 said:
    > I have a tpi that was good enough to adjust my HTP.

Found some nice prices on tpi tools.

They have one that Bluetooth connects to s phone for under 500.00
  • Zman
    I started with a less expensive one and was never confident in the readings as they seemed inconsistent. I was also paying about 1/2 the cost of the unit to have the sensors replaced every 2 years.
    I have a Testo 320 now. You can replace the sensors yourself and the readings are pretty consistent.
    Albert Einstein
    DZoro
  • SlamDunk
    SlamDunk Member Posts: 1,570
    I have a testo330. If I ever have to replace it, I would with an e-instruments btu 1500. Seen a contracted service tech use one and was impressed. half the price at @$1200
  • HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,425
    edited December 2019
    I have an UEI which cost me 1800 dollars. My last calibration was substantial. They had to replace some sensors.
    Buying a meter on Ebay, one takes a chance that it doesn't need calibration or sensors and is being abandoned because the cost to fix it would be too great. I wouldn't trust any meter that wasn't calibrated with in two years with certificate attesting to that calibration.
    Better to call a service tech with a recently calibrated meter and have him do the calibration on you boiler especially at the altitude you are at. One can't minimize the value of a calibration and a service person who does is under trained.
    I charge for a calibration on top of my time, just to pay for the cost of calibrating my meter because it is a consumable and I always charge for consumables. If a customer tells me that Joe piece of cake will do it for less, I say go for it and make sure all the p's & q's are in line.
    CBRob
  • CBRob
    Things have been getting pretty expensive up here. My little town used to be the affordable one but we are quickly catching up with Aspen's cost of living. I just called in an annual furnace inspection. $120 an hour including drive time. And it's an hour drive time.
    And soonist appointment is 2 months away.
    I'm actually happy to see trades people making good money. The cost of living is sky high, so wages should be too. Hopefully the service tech is well paid and not just the owner of his mechanical company. I raised my rates this year, and I think I'm still under charging.
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 9,572
    This is what I ended up with. Kind of sounds like sensor life is related to how much stuff the pre-filter is exposed to. Perhaps keeping it sealed up will prolong sensor life.

https://www.globaltestsupply.com/product/tpi-708-combustion-efficiency-analyzer-with-flue-probe?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1puwi_2c5gIVx_fjBx1dyAeuEAkYBSABEgJWQfD_BwE
    CBRob
  • CBRob
    Pretty good price on that one, Matt.

I'll probably only use this tool a dozen times a year.