Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Replacing pipe insulation

trivetman
trivetman Member Posts: 178
edited December 2019 in Strictly Steam
Hi all -

I am in the process of having the old 1” asbestos pipe insulation (duct tape wrapped) removed from my steam mains and am looking for some feedback as to whether I should replace with 1” fiberglass or go up to 1.5 inch.

The basement is comfortably warm through the winter from the heat loss through the insulation and also from the boiler itself and I’d like to keep it that way. My thought is that if 1” fiberglass has comparable insulation properties to 1” asbestos I should keep it at 1”. If the fiberglass has less insulation value for the same thickness it might make sense to go up to 1.5 inch.

Any feedback appreciated.

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,453
    I would use 1 1/2"
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,590
    As far as I know 1" fiberglass pipe insulation will have a slightly higher r value than the asbestos.

So even if you stay at 1" you're going to be slightly cooler down there.

1" is considered the best bang for the buck.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    Hap_Hazzardethicalpaul
  • trivetman
    trivetman Member Posts: 178
    Thanks. Do you recommend the pvc jacket over the straight runs? I cant tell if thats just to make it look pretty or some functional value as well?
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,590
    Not unless it's in areas were it may be damaged or you want it for looks.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment