Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Thankful

HeatingHelp
HeatingHelp Administrator Posts: 635
edited November 2019 in THE MAIN WALL

Comments

• Erin Holohan Haskell
    Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,276
    Some stories, like these, never get old. And we’re very thankful for that. We’re also thankful for you. Happy Thanksgiving!
    President
    HeatingHelp.com
  • John Abbott
    John Abbott Member Posts: 356
    Great story, Dan I am always in awe of your ability to put words on paper that make us feel like we heard you tell the story.
    Have a great Thanksgiving,

John Abbott
    "the one from New Hampshire"
  • MikeL_2
    MikeL_2 Member Posts: 486
    Dan,
    Your writing always provokes thought and that is what I enjoy the most. My favorite of all your quotes, toasts, and stories is " hug your kids ". Best wishes for you & family this holiday season.
  • Steve_Wheels
    Steve_Wheels Member Posts: 28
    I'm thankful that I'm on this side of the grass still reading and listening to Holohan stories and making a bunch of my own. Thank you Erin for everything you do to keep us all together! Dan taught me long ago to teach through stories... it works, I'm again and still thankful. I'm also thankful that today I get to tell stories to 2/3 of my kids on the opposite side of the continent while I cook thanksgiving dinner (how does anyone get used to being 3 ours behind?). And yes Dan, I will hug my kids, probably too many times.. and they will listen to my stories :-)
  • newinnj
    newinnj Member Posts: 36
    As a kid I was raised in a freezing house. The house was so cold that when I was a kid my science project of growing mold on jello didn't work. It was so cold the mold did not grow! My family is over for Thanksgiving and the first thing I say to my sisters always is "Is the house warm for all of you?". Its an inside joke for us. The radiant system is up and running and my family is very grateful for a warm house.
    Dan and Erin thanks a bunch for this website and all of the generous help I have gotten recently. It's a special place!
  • Jackmartin
    Jackmartin Member Posts: 196
    I have only done three things in my entire old life correctly. I married an angel 44 years ago. The second was our eldest son a fine young man who takes after his mom in the brains Dept. Then we were blessed with our second son just as smart as his brother. They are kind,gentle and I am so proud of them for the human beings they have become. I shudder to think what my life would be without these three people, I have been blessed and I hope you and your families are too. Happy Thanksgiving and all best Jack
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,513
    Thanks for the kind words, folks. I’m thankful for you all.
    Retired and loving it.
  • ttekushan_3
    ttekushan_3 Member Posts: 958
    This has got to be the best Thanksgiving column I’ve read.

Dan, you’ve caught me off guard again and left me misty-eyed at one of your articles. You’ve packed so much experience, human value, and perspective in such a short space it boggles the mind.

Ordinarily I would say that could be done only in a writing manner consistent with austere efficiency.

And I would be wrong. I’m so glad you manage to share your influences and the value of lessons learned from both those who may have been heralded in their own time and those who are of very humble status. You have a knack of reminding me of our shared humanity.

Among your stories I’ve read that got to me this way are two that are always near at hand:

One, that you published 5 years ago, “A Song For Christmas”

https://heatinghelp.com/blog/a-song-for-christmas/

And a personal favorite, “The Radiator” ostensibly about the work of a young man who created something beautiful, but really about so much more:

https://heatinghelp.com/blog/the-radiator/

Thank you, Dan for these stories. You have created something beautiful- and much more.

Besides. The line, “Sheedy, who was built of cinder blocks and Irish fury” is worth its weight in gold! :-)
    terry
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,513
    Thank you, my friend. That means a lot.
    Retired and loving it.